Improvements to a Housing Executive property

Under your tenancy agreement, you have the right to make certain improvements to your Housing Executive home. You can fit a new bathroom suite, replace kitchen units or build a new fireplace. The Tenant Self Help Repair Scheme might cover some of the cost.

Doing your own repairs

You can do minor repairs yourself under the Tenant Self Help Repair Scheme. The Housing Executive pay up to £200 towards the repairs.

The Scheme covers minor repairs such as replacing defective doors, re-tiling a floor or even replacing slates. Urgent or major electrical work or plumbing is not included in the Scheme. If you want to do minor plumbing or electrical work, you must use a qualified contractor.

Agreeing repairs with the Housing Executive

Before you make any changes, you must agree the work with the maintenance officer in the district office. They can tell you how much the Housing Executive will pay towards your work.

The Housing Executive might want to inspect the repairs or work you've done. They can withhold payment until they think the work is satisfactory.

To find the local Housing Executive district office, go to:

Tenant Self Help Repair Scheme

You must read your tenancy agreement to check the repair would be the Housing Executive’s responsibility. If it is, contact your district office, telling them about the repairs you want to do under the Tenant Self Help Repair Scheme.

If the repairs cost under £200, the Housing Executive will tell you how much they'll pay. If the repairs cost over £200, you can do the work as long as you pay the difference between the £200 limit and the cost of the repair.

When you apply to the scheme, a maintenance officer will visit your home and inspect what needs repaired. If the repairs are covered by the scheme , the maintenance officer will give you a works order. The order will have information about the repairs and the value of the work.

When the repairs are completed, you must send a copy of the works order to your district office. When NIHE receive this, a maintenance officer will inspect the finished work. If they're satisfied with the work, the maintenance officer will agree how much the Housing Executive will pay.

More useful links

Share this page


Your comments are anonymous and can’t be responded to - if you would like a reply, use the feedback form.

Your comments
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum. Don't include personal or financial information.