Repairs for Housing Executive and housing association tenants

Housing Executive and housing association tenants have the right to get some small, urgent repairs done within certain timescales.

Your right to repair

The Right to Repair scheme covers small, urgent repairs costing up to £250 which, if not carried out within a reasonable short, prescribed period of time, are likely to be a risk to your health, safety or security.

Housing Executive and housing associations' response times try to make sure that all repairs that are the responsibility of the landlord are completed within this prescribed timescale.

An association should have published target response times, for example:

  • emergency: one working day (24 hours) - defects affecting the safety, security or health of the tenant
  • urgent: four working days - defects causing loss of facility to the tenant or likely to cause further deterioration to the structure, fabric, fittings, fixtures or services to the building
  • routine: 28 working days - defects which can be deferred without serious inconvenience to the tenant

You may be entitled to compensation when the contractor fails to complete qualifying repairs within the prescribed period. The amount of compensation should be moderate to reflect the delay in completing the repair and not the cost.

Entitlement to compensation is removed if exceptional circumstances occur which are beyond the control of the association.

What repairs can you get done?

A qualifying repair will be considered a repair which does not cost more than £250 to carry out, but if not completed within a specific time is likely to a risk to your health or safety.

The majority of these repairs would be electrical or plumbing work, although there will be cases where building repairs will be deemed as qualifying repairs.

How can you get repairs done?

You should tell the Housing Executive or the housing association what repairs need to be done. When a repair is reported you will be informed of the following:

  • the name of the designated contractor
  • the last date for the repair to be carried out
  • job number

You must let the Housing Executive or housing association know when someone can be at home to let the contractor in. You should also check their identity before you allow them into your home.

More useful links

Share this page


Would you like to leave feedback about this page? Send us your feedback