Help to collect your benefits or pension

There may come a time when you can still manage your finances but it's difficult to get to the bank. Or you may require someone to receive payments on your behalf. For such scenarios, you can nominate a helper, such as a trusted friend or relative, to assist you.

Giving someone else access to your account

Direct Payment is the normal way state pensions, benefits, allowances or tax credits are paid to your account.

Most account providers will allow you to permanently or temporarily name a helper to access your account on your behalf. You should contact your bank, building society or other account provider for instructions on how to do this.

If you cannot receive funds by Direct Payment

If you are unable to manage a bank account – contact the office that pays you to discuss the options available.

Making future arrangements – a power of attorney

There may come a time when, because you are incapable of managing your property and financial affairs or personal welfare, you will need someone to do this for you.

You can formally appoint a friend, relative or professional to hold a power of attorney that will allow them to act on your behalf.

Power of attorney

A power of attorney enables you to choose a person or more than one person (called an attorney) to deal with your property and affairs. While a power of attorney ceases if you become mentally incapable of managing your affairs, an enduring power of attorney will continue. It's important to remember that mental incapacity can happen to anyone at anytime, for example, by accident or through illness.

More useful links

Share this page


Your comments are anonymous and can’t be responded to - if you would like a reply, use the feedback form.

Your comments
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum. Don't include personal or financial information.