There are different loans available from banks, credit unions and lending companies. If you borrow money, you will have to repay the original amount and interest. Before signing a loan agreement, always do your research and work out how you will afford the repayments.

Personal loans

If you want a personal loan, you should consider borrowing from a bank, building society or credit union. Before you arrange a personal loan:

  • do your research to find the best deal available
  • consider how many months or years it will take you to repay the loan
  • consider the full amount you’ll repay, which includes interest
  • consider the amount you’ll repay each month
  • check the annual percentage rate (APR) charged by the lender

The APR is the best way to compare loans. Generally, the lower the APR, the better the deal.

Payday loans

A payday or pay cheque loan is a short-term, high interest, unsecured loan that you get in return for your pay cheque or proof of your income. The loan is a quick, cash advance on the salary you are expecting.

Before you arrange a payday loan, make sure you know the interest rate charged and the financial penalties for falling behind with your repayments. If you can’t repay the full amount in time then your loan rolls over, your debt escalates and you could get into financial difficulty

Find out more about payday loans.

Logbook loans

You will often see logbook loans advertised in high street shops or on the internet. The promise is fast cash, but logbook loans often prove to be very problematic for borrowers.

A logbook loan is secured on your vehicle. The loan amount will reflect your vehicle's value. You will be required to:

  • sign a credit agreement
  • sign a bill of sale

By signing a bill of sale, you agree that the lender becomes the legal owner of the vehicle and can take your vehicle if you stop repaying the loan. A bill of sale allows the lender to seize your car without a court order.  

The law only recognises the bill of sale if the lender registers it with the High Court in Belfast. If it is not registered, the lender must get a court order to repossess your vehicle. If you think you may fall behind with your loan repayments, you can check if the bill of sale is registered. You will need to fill in a court form with your and the lender’s name and address and pay a fee to the High Court.

You can still drive the vehicle while you repay the loan. You only become the vehicle’s legal owner again when you have settled the agreement in full.

Before you arrange a logbook loan, ask the lender to:

  • explain your responsibilities
  • explain how you might lose your vehicle
  • confirm the APR

You’ll get cash quickly with a logbook loan, but the APR is very high for the loan repayments, sometimes over 200 per cent. You should look for a cheaper way to borrow money where you won’t risk losing your vehicle.

Borrowing from an unauthorised lender or loan shark

A loan shark is the common term for an illegal money lender, in effect, a money lender who has not been authorised by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).

A loan shark will lend you money even when authorised moneylenders have refused. A loan shark will also charge you a very high interest rate. You'll struggle to repay the loan .Soon you'll have to borrow more to repay the first loan. You'll probably take out another loan to repay the second loan. Within a few months, you will be deeply in debt.

If you get into arrears with your repayments, the loan shark may become aggressive. It isn’t a criminal offence to fail to repay a debt so the loan shark cannot bring you to a criminal court about your arrears. It is very unlikely that they’ll take you to a civil court as a loan from a loan shark is not legally enforceable.  

It is against the law for a loan shark or someone acting on their behalf to:

  • threaten you or your family with violence
  • threaten you with menacing telephone calls or letters
  • harass you at work
  • take any social security benefit book you have

Loan sharks are not licensed to lend money. They operate outside the law and do not respect it. If you complain to them, they may continue to threaten you.

If you are being threatened or harassed, you should complain to the police. You should also contact Consumerline.

Credit history

All lenders must check your credit worthiness and satisfy themselves that you can afford the repayments before lending you money. They run a credit check which shows your history as a borrower and how well you repaid credit or debt.

If the check shows your credit history is good, moneylenders want to lend you as much money or give you as much credit as they can.

If your credit history is poor or non-existent, authorised moneylenders may well refuse your credit or loan request. They know it would be a risk to lend you money or credit because your present income and debt would make it difficult for you to repay a new loan. This may be disappointing but it's probably better to accept the decision than borrow from a loan shark.

Unfair lending

If you think a lender is trading unfairly, you should tell Consumerline. They can refer your complaint to the Trading Standards Service for investigation or the Financial Conduct Authority which authorises lenders.


Borrowing money

Share this page

What do you want to do?
What is your question about?
Do you want a reply?
Your email address
To reply to you, we need your email address
Your feedback

We will not reply to your feedback.  Don't include any personal or financial information, for example National Insurance, credit card numbers, or phone numbers.

This feedback form is for issues with the nidirect website only.

You can use it to report a problem or suggest an improvement to a webpage.

If you have a question about a government service or policy, you should contact the relevant government organisation directly as we don’t have access to information about you held by government departments.

You must be aged 13 years or older - if you’re younger, ask someone with parental responsibility to send the feedback for you.

The nidirect privacy notice applies to any information you send on this feedback form.

Don't include any personal or financial information, for example National Insurance, credit card numbers, or phone numbers.

Plain text only, 750 characters maximum.
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum.

What to do next

Comments or queries about angling can be emailed to 

What to do next

If you have a comment or query about benefits, you will need to contact the government department or agency which handles that benefit.  Contacts for common benefits are listed below.

Carer's Allowance

Call 0800 587 0912

Discretionary support / Short-term benefit advance

Call 0800 587 2750 

Disability Living Allowance

Call 0800 587 0912 

Employment and Support Allowance

Call 0800 587 1377

Jobseeker’s Allowance

Contact your local Jobs & Benefits office

Personal Independence Payment

Call 0800 587 0932

If your query is about another benefit, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.

What to do next

Comments or queries about the Blue Badge scheme can be emailed to or you can also call 0300 200 7818.

What to do next

For queries or advice about careers, contact the Careers Service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about Child Maintenance, contact the Child Maintenance Service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about claiming compensation due to a road problem, contact DFI Roads claim unit.

What to do next

For queries or advice about criminal record checks, email

What to do next

Application and payment queries can be emailed to

What to do next

For queries or advice about employment rights, contact the Labour Relations Agency.

What to do next

For queries or advice about birth, death, marriage and civil partnership certificates and research, contact the General Register Office Northern Ireland (GRONI) by email

What to do next

For queries about:

If your query is about another topic, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.

What to do next

For queries or advice about passports, contact HM Passport Office.

What to do next

For queries or advice about Penalty Charge Notices (PCNs), including parking tickets and bus lane PCNs, email

What to do next

For queries or advice about pensions, contact the Northern Ireland Pension Centre.

What to do next

If you wish to report a problem with a road or street you can do so online in this section.

If you wish to check on a problem or fault you have already reported, contact DfI Roads.

What to do next

For queries or advice about historical, social or cultural records relating to Northern Ireland, use the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI) enquiry service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about rates, email:

For queries or advice about property valuation, email:

For queries or advice about land registry, email:

For mapping queries, email:

What to do next

For queries or advice about  60+ and Senior Citizen SmartPasses (which can be used to get concessionary travel on public transport), contact Smartpass - Translink.