Letting your home

If you rent out, or are thinking of renting out your home, it is vital that you are aware of your legal rights and obligations.

What's the landlord responsible for?

  • repairs to the structure and exterior of the property, heating and hot water systems, basins, sinks, baths and other sanitaryware
  • the safety of gas and electrical appliances
  • the fire safety of furniture and furnishings provided under the tenancy
  • ensuring that the property is fit for habitation
  • repairing and keeping in working order the room and water heating equipment
  • the common areas in multi-occupancy dwellings
  • obtaining a Certificate of Fitness where the property is built before 1945
  • obtaining an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)

To find out more information on landlord responsibilities, please use the links below:

In addition, the landlord is entitled to reasonable access to the property to inspect and carry out repairs.

The landlord is also obliged to provide the tenant with a rent book free of charge and a statement of tenancy terms within 28 days of the tenancy commencing.

Landlords can find out more about the Private Tenancies Order 2006 by using the link below:

New private landlord qualification

A new qualification has been developed for private landlords who let residential properties.

This Chartered Institute of Housing (CIH) Level 2 award in 'Letting and managing residential property' aims to promote good standards in privately rented accommodation as well as provide skills and knowledge to help landlords in their role.

The standard cost of this course is £375 but as this programme is receiving bursary support from DfC, the cost to registered landlords will be £100.

For more information, please contact Alison Cromie at the CIH at the telephone number or email address below.

What's the tenant responsible for?

  • paying the rent as agreed
  • bills for gas, electricity, telephone, et cetera if this was agreed with your landlord
  • keeping the property in a reasonable state of cleanliness and decoration
  • making sure that you, members of your household or your visitors do not harass, cause nuisance or annoyance to the occupiers of any neighbouring or adjoining premises

For more information please use the attached link:

Landlord's Energy Saving Allowance

If you are a landlord and make energy saving improvements to your property, you could reduce the tax you pay. You can do this by claiming the ‘Landlord’s Energy Saving Allowance’ (LESA).

Find out if you are eligible, what the allowance covers and how to apply for it by going to:

More useful links

Share this page


Would you like to leave feedback about this page? Send us your feedback