Housing repairs in communal areas

If you live in a house or block of flats with other tenants there are communal areas and services. Some areas or services will be your responsibility to repair and maintain while others will be the responsibility of the landlord.

Communal areas and services 

Communal areas tenants use include:

  • shared parking areas
  • shared gardens
  • shared paths
  • shared entrance halls
  • shared staircases
  • shared kitchens and bathrooms

Communal services tenants use include:

  • lighting to shared areas both inside and outside a shared house or block of flats
  • roof coverings to shared houses and blocks of flats
  • shared drainage to blocks of flats and blocks of garages
  • shared lifts
  • shared rubbish chutes in blocks of flats

Landlord's responsibility for repairs

Many tenancy agreements will set out which repairs a landlord is responsible for. These repairs, set out in the tenancy agreement, are likely to include a number of repairs to communal areas or services.

The landlord is responsible for:

  • repairs in certain parts of properties
  • maintaining certain services

These requirements mainly apply to keeping the structure and exterior of the property in repair and keeping heating, lighting and sanitation in proper working order.

You should be aware that, as a tenant, it is your responsibility to keep all entrances, passageways, communal halls and stairs clean and free from obstruction, and not to damage these areas.

Noticing what needs repaired in communal areas 

There are occasions where tenants identify that repairs are necessary to communal areas or services. You should ask your landlord to do these repair as soon as possible. 

They should carry out repairs for which they are responsible within a reasonable time.

If you are aware that damage is being deliberately caused by an individual or groups of individuals you should contact your landlord, Housing Executive office or housing association. 

More useful links

Share this page


Your comments are anonymous and can’t be responded to - if you would like a reply, use the feedback form.

Your comments
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum. Don't include personal or financial information.