Home maintenance and repairs

Getting hold of a plumber, electrician, roofer or other tradesman never seems to be easy. Read about how to find a trades person as well as helpful advice on what to do and what not to do if you're thinking about getting work done to your house.

What the law says

When a tradesman agrees to do work at your request, you have both entered into a contract. Contracts can be either written or spoken so you don't have to sign anything to enter into a legal agreement. The contract protects both you and the tradesman.

When a tradesman fixes or maintains something in your home, they are providing you with a service. They must do it with reasonable skill and care. Also, if no price or date for completing the work was agreed beforehand, they must only charge you what is reasonable and finish the job within a reasonable time. Any materials they use must be of satisfactory quality, fit for any stated purpose and as described.

Find out more about your rights when a trader provides goods or a service

Getting a quotation

If you are getting a big job done, try to get quotations from at least three tradesmen before choosing one. Remember to ask beforehand whether there is a charge for giving a quotation.

The quotation and the contract should be written and should show exactly what is to be done, with the cost of materials, labour and VAT shown separately. It should also state the payment arrangements and start/finish dates. Don't always just accept the lowest. Quality and reliability are important too. Consider asking to see other work which has been completed by the firm you are thinking about using.

Paying a deposit

Try to avoid paying deposits, particularly large deposits, and don't ever pay the whole amount up front. There is a risk that the trader could disappear with your money and you will have less leverage when it comes to getting the work finished and quality.

Find out more about paying a deposit.

Trade associations

Many trades have trade associations. The services offered to consumers by these trade associations vary. Many can help you find an approved contractor and others can help you if you have a disagreement with a tradesman who is a member.

You can find out more about these trade associations by visiting their websites, emailing or making a telephone call.

Emergency repairs

For smaller or urgent jobs like a burst pipe or leaking roof, you may not have the time to shop around and get quotations. Always ask about 'call out charges'.

Before you let anyone start, make sure they know exactly what it is you are asking them to do and get them to give you an estimate of how much the job is likely to cost. If you want the job done quickly, you should also agree a date for the works to be finished by.

Paying for additional, late or unsatisfactory work

Remember, whether your contract with your tradesman is based on a quotation or estimate, you do not have to pay for work that you did not ask to be done.

Sometimes unexpected extra work may be needed but the additional costs should be agreed in writing before the extra work starts. You will have to pay any quotation price, but if you only got an estimate you do not necessarily have to pay the full bill if it is a lot more than was estimated. You only have to pay what is reasonable. Ask others what they would have charged for the work done. If it is less, then tell your tradesman and only pay that amount.

You could also decide to pay less if you suffer loss or inconvenience because the job was not finished by the agreed time, or if no time had been agreed and the job was not finished within a reasonable time. Be fair about the finished work. If everything contracted for has been completed satisfactorily, pay quickly. Ask for a signed receipt for every payment you make and keep all paperwork.

Avoid signing off on work completed

Try to avoid signing anything that says you are completely satisfied with the work done. You may, for example, have to wait for a good downpour before you know whether your leaking roof has been fixed properly. If you've signed a satisfaction note, it may make it more difficult for you to claim later.

You've got six years from the date of any break of contract in which to take court action against the tradesman but your rights decrease as time passes and proving your case becomes more difficult.

What to do if you have a complaint

Try to sort it out first with the tradesman or with the manager or owner of any company he works for. If that doesn't work, check whether he's a member of a trade association and, if so, ask them to help.

You can also contact Consumerline for advice or to register a complaint.


Arbitration is where an outsider is asked to look into a dispute and to decide who is right. If you want to use arbitration, remember that it may cost and the company has to agree to it as well. Remember also that the arbitrator’s decision will be binding on both of you. You cannot afterwards take the company to court if you don't like the arbitrator's decision.

Court action

You may have to think about court action if you haven't been able to sort out your complaint and haven't used a trade association, or any other arbitration scheme.

If the amount involved is not more than £3,000, you can take your case yourself to the Small Claims Court. Talk to Consumerline or Advice NI about this before you ask your local court for an application form. For larger amounts, you should talk to a solicitor.

Find out more about how to complain and the small claims process.

Share this page

What do you want to do?
What is your question about?
Do you want a reply?
Your email address
To reply to you, we need your email address
Your feedback

We will not reply to your feedback.  Don't include any personal or financial information, for example National Insurance, credit card numbers, or phone numbers.

This feedback form is for issues with the nidirect website only.

You can use it to report a problem or suggest an improvement to a webpage.

If you have a question about a government service or policy, you should contact the relevant government organisation directly as we don’t have access to information about you held by government departments.

You must be aged 13 years or older - if you’re younger, ask someone with parental responsibility to send the feedback for you.

The nidirect privacy notice applies to any information you send on this feedback form.

Don't include any personal or financial information, for example National Insurance, credit card numbers, or phone numbers.

Plain text only, 750 characters maximum.
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum.

What to do next

Comments or queries about angling can be emailed to anglingcorrespondence@daera-ni.gov.uk 

What to do next

If you have a comment or query about benefits, you will need to contact the government department or agency which handles that benefit.  Contacts for common benefits are listed below.

Carer's Allowance

Call 0800 587 0912

Discretionary support / Short-term benefit advance

Call 0800 587 2750 

Disability Living Allowance

Call 0800 587 0912 
Email dcs.incomingpostteamdhc2@nissa.gsi.gov.uk

Employment and Support Allowance

Call 0800 587 1377

Jobseeker’s Allowance

Contact your local Jobs & Benefits office

Personal Independence Payment

Call 0800 587 0932

If your query is about another benefit, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.

What to do next

Comments or queries about the Blue Badge scheme can be emailed to bluebadges@infrastructure-ni.gov.uk or you can also call 0300 200 7818.

What to do next

For queries or advice about careers, contact the Careers Service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about Child Maintenance, contact the Child Maintenance Service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about claiming compensation due to a road problem, contact DFI Roads claim unit.

What to do next

For queries or advice about criminal record checks, email ani@accessni.gov.uk

What to do next

Application and payment queries can be emailed to ema_ni@slc.co.uk

What to do next

For queries or advice about employment rights, contact the Labour Relations Agency.

What to do next

For queries or advice about birth, death, marriage and civil partnership certificates and research, contact the General Register Office Northern Ireland (GRONI) by email gro_nisra@finance-ni.gov.uk

What to do next

For queries about:

If your query is about another topic, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.

What to do next

For queries or advice about passports, contact HM Passport Office.

What to do next

For queries or advice about Penalty Charge Notices (PCNs), including parking tickets and bus lane PCNs, email dcu@infrastructure-ni.gov.uk

What to do next

For queries or advice about pensions, contact the Northern Ireland Pension Centre.

What to do next

If you wish to report a problem with a road or street you can do so online in this section.

If you wish to check on a problem or fault you have already reported, contact DfI Roads.

What to do next

For queries or advice about historical, social or cultural records relating to Northern Ireland, use the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI) enquiry service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about rates, email:

For queries or advice about property valuation, email:

For queries or advice about land registry, email:

For mapping queries, email:

What to do next

If you can’t find the information you’re looking for in the Coronavirus (COVID-19) section, then for queries about:

If your query is about another topic, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.

What to do next

For queries or advice about  60+ and Senior Citizen SmartPasses (which can be used to get concessionary travel on public transport), contact Smartpass - Translink.