Complaining to Land & Property Services

You can complain to Land & Property Services (LPS) about how they dealt with you as a ratepayer. This includes complaining about an application for help paying your rates. LPS will investigate and answer your complaint.

Types of complaints 

You can complain to LPS about:

  • a mistake in a rate bill
  • property valuation
  • a long delay in processing  your application for help with rates
  • a long delay in processing your request for a property valuation
  • the way LPS treated you

You can complain to LPS about different services at the same time. 

How to make a complaint

To make a complaint, contact Corporate Correspondence and Complaints Unit in LPS: 

  • by email:
  • by telephone:  0300 200 7805
  • by telephone if calling from outside the UK  +44 28 9049 5837
  • in person at a Customer Information Centre
  • in writing 

Complaints about Housing Benefit and Rate Relief 

If you don't agree with the amount of Housing Benefit you are receiving, you need to appeal the decision. For information about the appeal process, contact:

Housing Benefit and Rate Relief Unit
Queen's Court
56-66 Upper Queen Street

  • telephone: 0300 200 7802

Licensing complaints

If your complaint is about a licensing decision and you’ve used all internal processes, you can contact:

Information Commissioner's Office (ICO)
Wycliffe House
Water Lane

  • telephone: 0303 123 1113
  • ICO 

Valuation appeals

You can appeal the valuation LPS gave your property.

For information about the appeal procedure:

You must pay your rate bill while LPS assesses your appeal. If your appeal is successful, LPS will refund any overpayment.

Replying to your complaint

When you complain to LPS:

  • they usually confirm in writing within two working days that they received your complaint 
  • they will send you a full response within ten working days
  • they will tell you if there is a delay in replying

LPS complaints procedure

LPS has a complaints procedure. You must use this procedure if you want them to investigate your complaint.

To read more, go to:

If you’re unhappy with their response, contact the Chief Executive:

Contacting the Ombudsman

If you're still unhappy with the response from LPS, you can contact the Northern Ireland Public Services Ombudsman (NIPSO). The Ombudsman doesn't usually investigate a complaint unless the internal complaints procedure has been exhausted.

More useful links

Share this page


Your comments are anonymous and can’t be responded to - if you would like a reply, use the feedback form.

Your comments
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum. Don't include personal or financial information.