Valuation of domestic properties for rates

To assess rates on a domestic property, Land & Property Services uses the property's capital value. Capital values are based on 1 January 2005 house prices. You can search for property valuations in different council areas and apply for a revaluation if you think the capital value is wrong.

Valuing your home

To assess a domestic property for rates, LPS bases the property's capital value on 1 January 2005 prices.  They used information about house sale prices in the area. They also assumed that all properties had an average state of internal repair and fittings, such as a standard kitchen and bathroom.

If your property was built after 2005,  they assessed the capital value by comparing your property with similar properties already built and valued earlier. 

Information about your property

There is certain information that matters  in your property valuation including:

  • size and type of property, such as detached, semi, terrace or flat
  • location of the property
  • if the property has a garage or other domestic outbuildings
  • if the property has central heating

You can check your domestic property's valuation online. To check online, you'll need your postcode and house number:

Property size

'Size' means the external area of your property if it is a house and the internal area if it is an apartment.

Mixed use properties

If your property has a mixed use such as a shop and a flat:

  • the shop is non-domestic and assessed on its Net Annual Value
  • the flat is domestic and assessed on its capital value

You will receive a single rate bill covering the domestic and non-domestic portions.

Rates on farmhouses

Farmhouses are valued as domestic properties. There is a 20 per cent discount in rates, if the farmhouse:

  • is occupied in connection with agricultural land
  • is occupied by a person whose main job is farming that land

You can complete the ‘Domestic Capital Value of Farmhouses Questionnaire’  and apply for the 20 per cent discount in capital value for farmhouses.

Valuing a new domestic property

When a new property is built, LPS must value the property before they can issue a rate bill.

How a new domestic property is valued

The valuation process starts when LPS receives notification from your local council's building control offices, or the ratepayer tells LPS that a new property is under construction.  

If a new property is occupied immediately, LPS will value and enter it in the valuation list from the date of occupation. If a new property remains vacant, LPS will usually serve a completion notice on the owner before they enter it on the valuation list.

LPS will issue a completion notice up to three months before construction work should finish. They'll give a date when liability for rates will begin. 

Applying for a  valuation on a new property

You can apply online to have a new property valued:

You need to give:

  • new property's address
  • contact information
  • council area
  • ownership information

You can also complete and return the valuation application form. You can edit this document. This allows you to complete on screen, print and send the form to your nearest LPS valuation office:

Reporting an alteration to your property

If you alter your property, you must tell LPS, as this can affect your rate bill. Most increases take effect from 1 April following the alteration. For example, if you finish an extension in June 2019,  you will be billed for additional rates from 1 April 2020.

Alterations that could affect your rate bill

Alterations to properties include:

  • extending 
  • sub-dividing 
  • building a domestic garage or outbuilding
  • domestic roofspace conversion
  • refurbishing 
  • demolishing

To apply for a property revaluation after alterations to your home, you can apply online:

You can also complete and return a valuation application form. You can edit this document. This allows you to complete on screen, print and send to your nearest LPS valuation office:

To ask about your property valuation, contact LPS.

Rating exclusions on flooded homes

If your home was affected by flooding, you might be eligible for exclusion from rates. To find out how to apply, go to:

Appealing your property valuation

When LPS values your property for the first time or following alterations, you will receive a Certificate of Valuation showing the capital valuation. If you think the valuation is incorrect, you can appeal this to the Commissioner of Valuation within 28 days using an appeal form.

You can also ask Land & Property Services (LPS) for an appeal form.

If you aren't satisfied with the Commissioner's decision, you can appeal to the Northern Ireland Valuation Tribunal.

More useful links

Share this page


Your comments are anonymous and can’t be responded to - if you would like a reply, use the feedback form.

Your comments
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum. Don't include personal or financial information.