Renew your driving licence online
Northern Ireland residents can renew their driving licence online via the green link below. This service is for residents in Northern Ireland only. It’s faster to renew your licence online.
Before you start
This online service will not allow you to renew a lorry or bus driving licence. These licences can be renewed by:
- filling in and returning the renewal reminder form (DL1R) if one has been sent to you
- or filling in and returning a driving licence application form (DL2)
DL2 and DL1 forms are available from Post Offices.
To apply online to renew your car, motorbike or tractor driving licence you'll need:
- a digital photo or photo code - take a look at the rules for digital photos before renewing your licence via the green link below
- a credit or debit card (if payment is needed)
- a valid email address
- your Northern Ireland driving licence number and expiry date (date it runs out on) - both can be found on the plastic card part of your driving licence – ‘5’ is the driving licence number and ‘4b’ the expiry date
Although you can change your address when renewing your licence online you cannot change your name online.
If you're unable to provide a digital photo, your licence can be renewed by:
- filling in and returning a driving licence application form (DL1) - this form is available from Post Offices
Linking your driving licence
You do not need to create a nidirect account to renew your driving licence online but it can save you time when you’re filling out your application.
When you create your account and you’ve had your identity verified you can link your licence so the information from your driving record shows on screen. DVA will also send you updates on your application, such as when it has been processed.
You can view your driving record to check the details DVA hold for you, including any penalty points or driving convictions you may have. You can also create a code to allow a third party, for example a car hire company or your employer, to view your driving rights.
To find out more about identity assurance and the documents you need to verify your identity see:
If you already have an account, or need to create an account, you can log in to the service using the green button above.
Watch the video on renewing your driving licence online:
You can find out how any personal information you send to the Department for Infrastructure (Driver and Vehicle Agency) when using this service will be handled by viewing their privacy notice
For queries about renewing your driving licence online, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
For queries about your identity check, email: email@example.com.