Claim your State Pension online
You do not have to reach State Pension age to make your State Pension claim. You can claim if you are within four months of State Pension age and live in Northern Ireland. You can still claim online if you haven’t received a letter from the Pension Service inviting you to claim or if you’ve deferred your State Pension.
Before you start
The online State Pension service will be unavailable from 6.00 pm to 11.59 pm on Wednesday 3 May 2017.
You will need:
- your Government Gateway user ID, password and activation code – see ‘Additional Information’ below if you do not have this
- your National Insurance number
- your current address and postcode
- account details of where you want your State Pension paid
- addresses and dates of employment if you’ve worked in the last two years (or the two years before you reached State Pension age if you deferred your claim)
If the following apply, you will need to provide:
- your partner’s details, for example National Insurance number
- details of any benefits you or your partner receive
- the date of your marriage or civil partnership
- the date of divorce or civil partnership dissolution
- the date your partner died
- the dates and social security numbers if you have lived or worked abroad
Before you can claim your State Pension online, you need a Government Gateway account. Government Gateway is a secure route to government services. When registering, you will be asked questions to confirm your identity, including your current address and National Insurance number.
Once registered, you will receive a user ID and activation code separately in the post. This may take three to seven days.
You can only get an activation code from Government Gateway – it won’t be on your letter from the Pension Service.
Claim State Pension if you live outside Northern Ireland
If you live in England, Scotland or Wales, claim your State Pension online on GOV.UK
If you live outside the UK, contact the International Pension Centre.
Would you like to leave feedback about this page? Send us your feedback