GCSE subject choices advice for students and parents
As well as the support from careers teachers in schools, professionally-qualified careers advisers from the Careers Service provide careers information, impartial advice and guidance about GCSE subject choices.
This help is delivered through class talks, group work and individual interviews.
Careers advisers are available to provide free support and guidance at any stage through the decision-making process.
To contact a careers adviser you can:
- go online and chat with an adviser
- phone 0300 200 7820
- email by completing the online form at Ask Careers
Your support as a parent/ carer is vital when your child is choosing their subjects.
Your support will help them make the right choices to reach their full potential.
Try considering the following with them:
• subjects they enjoy
• subjects they are good at or find challenging
• subjects that can link into careers ideas
• how they like to learn (coursework, exams, or both)
• hobbies/ interests they enjoy
• the type of job they would like to do and what qualifications are required
• researching jobs through the Careers Service website
• talking to the careers adviser
• talking to subject teachers
For more information, and to watch the Subject Choices video and take the quiz, go to:
There is also lots of useful information available at these links:
- Careers Service
- Helping young people with career choices
- Young person's guide/ parental guide
- Skills in demand
Follow the Careers Service on:
- Twitter - @economy_ni
- Facebook - @SkillstoSucceedni
- Instagram - @Economy_NI
- LinkedIn - Department for the Economy NI