Disabled Person's Allowance

Where a property has been suitably adapted or has additional features to accommodate a disabled person's special needs, you might be entitled to 25 per cent discount in your rates.

Qualifying for Disabled Person's Allowance

This allowance is not means tested. To apply, you don't need to provide information about your income and savings.

The allowance is 25 per cent discount in rates for any household where:

  • a person with a disability lives
  • the property has been adapted or has additional facilities added to suit the disabled person's needs

There must be a clear link between how the property has been adapted and the person's disability.

Criteria for adaptations

The property must be adapted to meet the needs of a person with a disability who lives in your home. Types of adaptations that qualify are:

  • a room, other than a kitchen, bathroom or toilet, which is wholly used by the person with a disability for treatment or therapy
  • an extra kitchen for the person with a disability
  • an extra toilet for the person with a disability (including an ensuite)
  • an extra bathroom (including extra toilets and an ensuite)
  • floor space to use a wheelchair easily

How to apply

To apply for Disabled Person's Allowance (DPA), the person who pays rates on the property must send an application form. 

You can edit this form. This allows you to save the document to your desktop, complete the form and send as an email attachment to LPS.

You can also ask Land & Property Services (LPS) for a form:

Land & Property Services
Disabled Person's Allowance
Lanyon Plaza
7 Lanyon Place
Town Parks

Information for the application form

When applying for DPA, you need to include information about: 

  • the person's disability along with any supporting medical evidence
  • adaptions made to your home to accommodate the disabled person's needs

LPS will also ask the person with a disability for permission to contact their GP or health professional if necessary.

Home visit

A member of the Disabled Person's Allowance team may visit your property to see how it has been adapted. If you would like an interpreter to be present during the visit, you can ask for this when you apply.

Paying your rates

If you apply for help, you must still pay your rates bill while LPS assesses your application. If your application is successful, LPS will refund the amount you have overpaid or credit the amount due to your account.

If you want  more information about help to pay your rates, contact LPS:

Benefits calculator

You can use the online calculator to check other benefits or allowances you could receive. 

More useful links


Share this page


Your comments are anonymous and can’t be responded to - if you would like a reply, use the feedback form.

Your comments
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum. Don't include personal or financial information.