Short term game and coarse rod licences are valid for consecutive days and cannot be split into different days in different weeks.
If you wish to use more rods than what is shown on the table below, you must buy another rod licence.
|Types of short term rod licences||Number of rods allowed||Price|
|Three day game rod licence||One rod at any one time (either game or coarse fishing)||£3.50|
|Three day coarse rod licence||Two rods at any one time||£3.50|
|14 day game rod licence||One rod at any one time (either game or coarse fishing)||£9.00|
|14 day coarse rod licence||Two rods at any one time||£9.00|
Game species include brown trout, sea trout, salmon and arctic char.
Coarse species of fish include pike, bream, roach, perch, carp, tench and rudd.
What you need to go fishing legally
To fish legally in Northern Ireland you need a rod licence plus a permit or day ticket. The rod licence is for the fishing rod and the game or coarse fish you're allowed to catch. The permit gives the angler permission to fish in the chosen water. You cannot buy a permit/ day ticket without a rod licence.
Buy a short term rod licence and permit
Anglers can buy a short term rod licence and permit online below or from a distributor (like tackle shops). Read the Conditions of Sale for fishing licences and permits before buying:
- Buy rod licences, permits and River Bush day tickets online from DAERA - when you're on this page look out for the green link as that is where you buy online - this green link takes you to a page that asks 'What do you want to buy?' - make sure you choose 'Combined licence and permit' before you go to the next page
- Angling licence and permit distributors
Everything you need to go fishing
- Angling - everything you need to go fishing in Northern Ireland
- Angling - includes fish stocking archive, contact details and more
- Where can I fish in Northern Ireland? Includes the 70 fisheries in the DAERA Public Angling Estate and private fisheries
- All other DAERA rod licence and permit prices
- Angling rod licences explained
- Angling permits explained