Game rod licence prices
All Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA) game rod licences allow the holder to fish for either game or coarse:
- game species include brown trout, sea trout, salmon and arctic char
- coarse species of fish include pike, bream, roach, perch, carp, tench and rudd
The DAERA rod licences in the table below are valid for the game season (generally March to October, but varies) when fishing for game and from January to December when fishing for coarse.
|Age/anglers with disabilities||Type of game rod licence||Number of rods allowed||Price|
|Under 12 years old||No licence needed||Unlimited||No charge|
|12 to 18 years old||Juvenile game rod licence||One rod at any one time (either game or coarse fishing)||£2.00|
|19 to 59 years old||Season game rod licence||One rod at any one time (either game or coarse fishing)||£17.00|
|60 years and over||Concessionary season game rod licence for aged 60 and over||One rod at any one time (either game or coarse fishing)*||£5.00|
|Anglers with a disability||Concessionary season game rod licence and permit for anglers with a disability. (More below)||One rod at any one time (either game or coarse fishing)*||£5.00|
*If you wish to use two rods then you must buy another game rod licence.
Documents you need
To fish legally in Northern Ireland you need:
- a rod licence plus
- a permit or day ticket
The permit/ day ticket gives the angler permission to fish in the chosen water. You cannot buy a permit/ day ticket without a rod licence.
Short term and tourist rod licences
This rod licence is useful if you do not fish regularly or if you're a tourist. Follow the links for information about the number of rods you're allowed, prices and more:
- Short term and tourist rod licence prices from DAERA
- Short term and tourist angling permit prices from DAERA
Concessionary season game rod licence for anglers with a disability
This rod licence is for anglers who receive one of the following allowances:
- Disability Living Allowance
- Attendance Allowance
- War Disablement Pension
- Severe Disablement Allowance
Anglers are only allowed one concessionary licence. It is an offence to have more than one concessionary licence in any calendar year.
There will no longer be a two week application period as e-records will be created automatically and you will be given a receipt or receive an email confirmation immediately.
When a concessionary season game rod licence is bought for an angler with a disability, it must be declared that the information given is accurate.
The price of a concessionary season game permit for anglers with a disability is at the link below:
Have proof to show you're fishing legally
DAERA Fishery Protection Officers do carry out licence checks so make sure all rod licences and permits are valid. If it is found that the information received is incorrect, DAERA will cancel the licence and offer the holder the opportunity to buy a non concessionary rod licence/ permit. No refund will be given. For more information visit 'Have proof to show you're fishing legally'.
Buy a game rod licence and permit
Anglers can buy a game rod licence and permit online or from a distributor (like tackle shops). Read the Conditions of Sale for fishing licences and permits before buying:
- Buy rod licences, permits and River Bush day tickets online to fish the 70 DAERA Public Angling Estate fisheries - here you can also buy a rod licence and permit together by choosing 'combined licence and permit'
- Angling licence and permit distributors
Everything you need to go fishing
- Angling - everything you need to go fishing in Northern Ireland
- Where can I fish in Northern Ireland? Includes the 70 fisheries in the DAERA Public Angling Estate and private fisheries
- All other DAERA rod licence and permit prices
- Angling - includes fish stocking archive, latest news, contact details and more