Angling permits explained

As well as a rod licence anglers must also have permission to fish in the chosen water. This can be in the form of a permit or day ticket from the fishery owner. Below are the types of permits/ day tickets available and where to buy them.

A fishery owner can be:

  • a private individual
  • a company
  • an angling club
  • the Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA)

Permits for private fisheries 

To fish in private waters you must buy:

  • a rod licence plus
  • a permit or day ticket 

The rod licence is for the fishing rod and the game or coarse fish you're allowed to catch.  

A permit  or day ticket gives  you the right to fish in a particular fishery. Follow the link to find more information on private fisheries which are also known as Fisheries outside the Public Angling Estate

Permits for DAERA's fisheries

DAERA's 70 fisheries are part of the 'DAERA Public Angling Estate' which offers the public inexpensive fishing throughout Northern Ireland. To fish these waters you must buy the following from DAERA:

  • a rod licence plus
  • a permit or day ticket 

Follow the link to view these fisheries:

Game and coarse angling

There are two types of angling, game and coarse:

  • game species include brown trout, sea trout, salmon and arctic char
  • ​coarse species include pike, bream, roach, perch, carp, tench and rudd

Your rod licence will show the type of fish you can catch and the number of rods allowed. 

Detailed below are the different types of DAERA permits you can buy which give you permission to fish in the chosen water.

DAERA game permits

All DAERA game permits allow the holder to fish the Public Angling Estate for either game or coarse fish but with only one rod at a time. A separate game permit is needed for any extra rod being used for game or coarse.

For more information about game permits and prices follow the link:

DAERA coarse permits

All DAERA coarse permits allow the holder to fish the Public Angling Estate with two coarse rods. A separate coarse permit is needed for a third and extra coarse rods being used.

For more information about coarse permits and prices follow the link:

DAERA local season permits 

Local season permits are for anglers who just want to fish in their local area:

DAERA short term and tourist permit types

If you do not fish regularly or if you're a tourist, you might find this type of DAERA permit useful. For more information about prices and the number of rods you're allowed, follow the link:

DAERA day tickets

The River Bush situated close to the Giants Causeway has several types of DAERA day tickets available for salmon fishing and caters for various fishing methods:

Buy DAERA rod licences, permits, day tickets

Anglers can buy DAERA rod licences, permits and day tickets online or from a distributor (for example a tackle shop) and should read the 'Conditions of Sale' for fishing licences and permits before buying:

Note that you can't buy a permit or day ticket without a rod licence.

Have proof to show you're fishing legally

When fishing you may be approached by a DAERA Fishery Protection Officer, the Police Service of Northern Ireland  (PSNI) or a Private Water Bailiff to check if you're fishing legally.  Find out more about having proof to show you're fishing legally. 

Everything you need to go fishing

Share this page


Your comments are anonymous and can’t be responded to - if you would like a reply, use the feedback form.

Your comments
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum. Don't include personal or financial information.