Routes into higher education

Higher education courses can be studied at university, university colleges or in Further Education colleges. Higher education qualifications range from Higher National Certificates (HNCs) and diplomas to Postgraduate awards and Master’s degrees.

Higher education study to suit you

Many higher education courses can now be studied in flexible ways. There are different study types, work combinations and part-time options to suit busy lifestyles.

With  local further education (FE) colleges offering more options and more institutions offering distance learning (a combination of online and face to face sessions with online learning), you may find that you don't have to travel far to study a higher education qualification.

There are many paths leading into higher education, whether you're a young first time learner, mature student or returning to learning – it’s all about studying in a way that suits you.

There are also a number of support mechanisms and benefits that you may be entitled to which can help you gain the qualification you seek.

Qualifications needed to study in higher education

Institutions set their own entry requirements for higher education courses, so they vary widely. Prospectuses often refer mainly to A levels but many also accept vocational qualifications like NVQs or BTECs which can be equivalent to A levels. Institutions may also take your life and work experience into account.

Depending on the course, UK students may be able to enter higher education with a range of qualifications which include, but are not limited to:


You may also be able to enter higher education by completing a Foundation or Access course. See sections below for more information. 

If you already have a Higher Education qualification

If you already have a higher education qualification like a Higher National Certificate (HNC) or Higher National Diploma (HND), you may be able to enter a first degree course at the start of the second or third year.

To study for an HNC or HND, you will need some previous qualifications. Most HND courses require one A level or an equivalent qualification.

If you have a Foundation degree, you may be able to enter a degree course at the start of the third or final year. Entry requirements for a Foundation degree will depend on the course and the college. They will normally be A levels or vocational equivalents such as BTEC National Diplomas.

 If you don't have any formal qualifications

If you have no formal qualifications but can show you have relevant experience, skills and aptitudes, you may also be considered through a process known as Accreditation of Prior Experiential Learning (APEL).

In exceptional circumstances, the APEL process has been approved for admission to specific programmes in some universities and colleges on a case-by-case basis.  

If you don't have the qualifications needed but have experience the university or college think is relevant to a particular programme, you may be considered for admission. However, this would be for the university or college to decide.

If you are applying under APEL, you may need to provide proof of your experience or sit a module or task set by the university or college. Contact your chosen university or college for further details on the APEL process.

If you have a particular course in mind

If you already have a particular full-time higher education course in mind, you can look up the entry requirements on the Universities and Colleges Admission Service (UCAS) website.  There you will find undergraduate and postgraduate courses as well as Foundation degree courses. UCAS however, does not include information about HNC and HND courses.

Universities and colleges use a points-based system called the ‘UCAS Tariff’ to set entry requirements. The tariff assigns a number value to a wide range of qualifications, so that colleges and universities can compare the achievements of different candidates.

Institutions also have information on their own website in regard to admissions so you can check with them directly by using the links on the page below:

Students from outside the United Kingdom

If you are a student from outside the UK, you may be able to get onto a higher education course if you have qualifications which are considered to be equivalent to A- Levels.

These may include the International Baccalaureate (IB), the European Baccalaureate (EB) and the Irish Leaving Certificate. It is advisable to check as early as possible with the institution that you wish to study at to see if your qualifications meet their admissions requirements.

Access courses

Access  courses prepare people without traditional qualifications for higher education study. Many are designed and accredited by universities but delivered by further education colleges. However some universities, such as the Open University, deliver them as well.

Access to Higher Education diplomas are accredited by Accessing Validating Agencies, licensed by QAA and delivered by further education colleges.

Foundation years

Some institutions offer Foundation years as preparation for certain degree courses. Foundation years generally don't result in a separate qualification as they simply qualify you to enter the degree course itself.

Foundation years aren't available for all degree courses and you will need to check with each higher education provider about availability.

Taking a Foundation year may be helpful if:

  • you don't have the necessary qualifications to study at degree level
  • you have not been in education for a long period of time
  • you are an overseas student and your language skills don’t yet meet the demands of a degree course

Foundation course

Foundation courses are similar to Foundation years, but may not be held at the same university or college as the full degree or diploma, or qualify you for entry to a particular course.

 Foundation degree

A Foundation degree is different from a foundation year or a foundation course. It  is an intermediate higher education qualification its own right,  delivered in further education colleges. Foundation degrees mix academic and work related learning and offer a route into employment or university and a way to better yourself in your job.

Disability and/ or Special Educational Needs (SEN) student support

Universities and colleges are increasingly aware of the needs of students with disabilities and students with specific learning difficulties. They can provide support in a number of ways, including the possibility of extra financial help.

The video below shows a woman who had grown up with dyslexia, tell how the support available gave her the confidence to go to university.

Share this page

What do you want to do?
What is your question about?
Do you want a reply?
Your email address
To reply to you, we need your email address
Your feedback

We will not reply to your feedback.  Don't include any personal or financial information, for example National Insurance, credit card numbers, or phone numbers.

This feedback form is for issues with the nidirect website only.

You can use it to report a problem or suggest an improvement to a webpage.

If you have a question about a government service or policy, you should contact the relevant government organisation directly as we don’t have access to information about you held by government departments.

You must be aged 13 years or older - if you’re younger, ask someone with parental responsibility to send the feedback for you.

The nidirect privacy notice applies to any information you send on this feedback form.

Don't include any personal or financial information, for example National Insurance, credit card numbers, or phone numbers.

Plain text only, 750 characters maximum.
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum.

What to do next

Comments or queries about angling can be emailed to 

What to do next

If you have a comment or query about benefits, you will need to contact the government department or agency which handles that benefit.  Contacts for common benefits are listed below.

Carer's Allowance

Call 0800 587 0912

Discretionary support / Short-term benefit advance

Call 0800 587 2750 

Disability Living Allowance

Call 0800 587 0912 

Employment and Support Allowance

Call 0800 587 1377

Jobseeker’s Allowance

Contact your local Jobs & Benefits office

Personal Independence Payment

Call 0800 587 0932

If your query is about another benefit, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.

What to do next

Comments or queries about the Blue Badge scheme can be emailed to or you can also call 0300 200 7818.

What to do next

For queries or advice about careers, contact the Careers Service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about Child Maintenance, contact the Child Maintenance Service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about claiming compensation due to a road problem, contact DFI Roads claim unit.

What to do next

For queries or advice about criminal record checks, email

What to do next

Application and payment queries can be emailed to

What to do next

For queries or advice about employment rights, contact the Labour Relations Agency.

What to do next

For queries or advice about birth, death, marriage and civil partnership certificates and research, contact the General Register Office Northern Ireland (GRONI) by email

What to do next

For queries about:

If your query is about another topic, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.

What to do next

For queries or advice about passports, contact HM Passport Office.

What to do next

For queries or advice about Penalty Charge Notices (PCNs), including parking tickets and bus lane PCNs, email

What to do next

For queries or advice about pensions, contact the Northern Ireland Pension Centre.

What to do next

If you wish to report a problem with a road or street you can do so online in this section.

If you wish to check on a problem or fault you have already reported, contact DfI Roads.

What to do next

For queries or advice about historical, social or cultural records relating to Northern Ireland, use the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI) enquiry service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about rates, email

What to do next

For queries or advice about  60+ and Senior Citizen SmartPasses (which can be used to get concessionary travel on public transport), contact Smartpass - Translink.