Protect your identity

Identity fraud or theft is when somebody steals your personal details and pretends to be you. They may do this to buy things in your name and charge them to your bank account. Find out how to protect your personal details and prevent anyone using your identity.

Keep your personal details private

Using just a few of your personal details, criminals can apply for bank accounts, credit cards, benefits and official documents in your name.

There are many ways that someone get your personal information and steal your identity, including:

  • finding out your bank details
  • taking your passport or driving licence, or copying the details
  • copying your credit card details
  • accessing your personal information through a fraudulent website or email
  • taking junk mail that has your personal information on it
  • going through your dustbin to find receipts or other information

Personal details should only ever be revealed when it is your decision to give them out. Your bank will never ask you for your PIN or your online account password, and neither will any trustworthy online retailer, credit card or auction site.

To keep your information safe you should:

  • never give out your personal details to a telephone caller, such as your date of birth or mother's maiden name
  • always delete emails asking you to 'update' bank account details (fraudsters can easily use the logos of high street store names, and fraudulent emails will often appear genuine)

Stay safe online

To stay safe online:

  • delete suspicious-looking emails without opening them
  • keep a good firewall on your home computer
  • don't use the same password on all websites
  • don't give personal information to any company that emails or calls you unexpectedly
  • don't respond to emails that seem to be from your bank asking you to 're-enter' your personal details - your bank will not ask you to do that
  • don't buy online unless you see the golden padlock on the payments page, and a web address beginning with 'https'
  • install all security updates and 'patches' offered by your computer software company

For more information about protecting yourself online, go to:

Stay safe offline

To you stay safe offline:

  • shred all personal information before throwing it away in your rubbish; this includes bank statements, anything containing National Insurance details, salary information, even old membership cards
  • remove and destroy the name and address on the envelopes you receive before throwing them away
  • don't give out your personal information when you could be overheard
  • don't leave personal documents visible in your home
  • arrange to redirect your mail to your new address when you move
  • tell your utility companies (gas, electric and water) when you change address
  • keep your banking and credit card PIN numbers safe 
  • keep your credit card within view when paying at restaurants or shops
  • make sure your letterbox is secure, and that post can get through and fall safely to the floor
  • if you live in a shared building, ask your bank if you can pick up new debit cards or cheque books at your branch

Don't keep personal information, passwords or bank details on your mobile phone. If it gets stolen, you could lose more than just the handset. 

Check your credit report

Checking your credit report regularly can help you spot any suspicious activity, giving you a chance to report it before it goes too far.

You can order your credit report. If you have ever had a credit card, a loan or a mortgage, one of three main credit reference agencies hold a file on you. This includes details of organisations with which you have had financial dealings in recent years.

A statutory credit report by post costs £2.00. When you receive your report, check it thoroughly. The three main consumer credit reference agencies are:

If you see information you don't recognise, contact the credit reference agency and let them know.

Signs your identity has been stolen

You may not know immediately that your identity has been stolen. It is important that you protect your details and be aware of any signs that your identity might have been stolen.

Look out for:

  • unusual payments or direct debits appearing on your bank statements
  • important mail going missing - you should know when to expect a bank statement or a new cheque book, if it doesn't arrive, tell your bank
  • recycling bins and rubbish bags being tampered with
  • bills arriving for things that you haven't bought or for services you haven't ordered
  • new credit cards appearing on your credit record

Reporting identity fraud or theft

If you think that your identity or personal information has been stolen, report the problem immediately.

Speak to your bank or building society straight away, if you think your credit/debit card, online bank account or cheque book have been stolen or hacked.

If you think your post might have been intercepted or stolen, contact Royal Mail:

  • telephone 08457 740 740

For more advice, go to:


Share this page

What do you want to do?
What is your question about?
Do you want a reply?
Your email address
To reply to you, we need your email address
Your feedback

We will not reply to your feedback.  Don't include any personal or financial information, for example National Insurance, credit card numbers, or phone numbers.

This feedback form is for issues with the nidirect website only.

You can use it to report a problem or suggest an improvement to a webpage.

If you have a question about a government service or policy, you should contact the relevant government organisation directly as we don’t have access to information about you held by government departments.

You must be aged 13 years or older - if you’re younger, ask someone with parental responsibility to send the feedback for you.

The nidirect privacy notice applies to any information you send on this feedback form.

Don't include any personal or financial information, for example National Insurance, credit card numbers, or phone numbers.

Plain text only, 750 characters maximum.
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum.

What to do next

Comments or queries about angling can be emailed to 

What to do next

If you have a comment or query about benefits, you will need to contact the government department or agency which handles that benefit.  Contacts for common benefits are listed below.

Carer's Allowance

Call 0800 587 0912

Discretionary support / Short-term benefit advance

Call 0800 587 2750 

Disability Living Allowance

Call 0800 587 0912 

Employment and Support Allowance

Call 0800 587 1377

Jobseeker’s Allowance

Contact your local Jobs & Benefits office

Personal Independence Payment

Call 0800 587 0932

If your query is about another benefit, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.

What to do next

Comments or queries about the Blue Badge scheme can be emailed to or you can also call 0300 200 7818.

What to do next

For queries or advice about careers, contact the Careers Service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about Child Maintenance, contact the Child Maintenance Service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about claiming compensation due to a road problem, contact DFI Roads claim unit.

What to do next

For queries or advice about criminal record checks, email

What to do next

Application and payment queries can be emailed to

What to do next

For queries or advice about employment rights, contact the Labour Relations Agency.

What to do next

For queries or advice about birth, death, marriage and civil partnership certificates and research, contact the General Register Office Northern Ireland (GRONI) by email

What to do next

For queries about:

If your query is about another topic, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.

What to do next

For queries or advice about passports, contact HM Passport Office.

What to do next

For queries or advice about Penalty Charge Notices (PCNs), including parking tickets and bus lane PCNs, email

What to do next

For queries or advice about pensions, contact the Northern Ireland Pension Centre.

What to do next

If you wish to report a problem with a road or street you can do so online in this section.

If you wish to check on a problem or fault you have already reported, contact DfI Roads.

What to do next

For queries or advice about historical, social or cultural records relating to Northern Ireland, use the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI) enquiry service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about rates, email

What to do next

For queries or advice about  60+ and Senior Citizen SmartPasses (which can be used to get concessionary travel on public transport), contact Smartpass - Translink.