People on a low income

People on a low income can get help to pay their rate bill with Housing Benefit and Rate Relief. If you're already getting Universal Credit, you might be entitled to Rate Rebate to help pay your rates.

Qualifying for help paying your rates

You may be entitled to help with your rate bill if: 

  • you have a low income
  • you lose your job
  • your income is reduced
  • you're entitled to Income Support
  • you're entitled to Jobseeker's Allowance
  • you're entitled to Employment and Support Allowance
  • you're entitled to Pension Credit

To read more information about Housing Benefit and Rate Relief, go to:

Tenants or homeowners getting Universal Credit

If you're already getting Universal Credit and need help paying your rates, you should apply for Rate Rebate.

Getting help to pay your rates

For information about schemes that could help you pay your rates, contact:

Benefits calculator

Use the benefits calculator to find out if there are benefits you may be entitled to:

Share this page


Your comments are anonymous and can’t be responded to - if you would like a reply, use the feedback form.

Your comments
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum. Don't include personal or financial information.