Learmount Forest covers 118 hectares of the foothills at the northern face of the Sperrin Mountains. Bought by the Forest Service at the end of the Second World War, it has over 15 different tree species planted, with some over 100 years old.
There may be restrictions on access to parts of the forest from time to time due to forest operations. Pay attention to safety signage.
About this forest
The first woodland trees at Learmount were planted by Henry Barre de la Poer Beresford, a plantation landlord from Staffordshire.
The imposing castle was built in 1830 as an extension of an older building erected by a Captain Montgomery around 1710. The castle was used by Ashleigh House Girls' School (Belfast) during the war, and then by the Youth Hostel Association until it was bought by the present owner.
How to get there
Take the B74 Claudy to Feeny road for about three miles. Turn right onto the Clagan or Altinure Road heading for the village of Park. The forest is on the Learmount Road on the outskirts of Park.
The car park is at the community centre in Park along the Learmount Road.