Improving your housing association property

Secure tenants in registered housing associations have the right to improve their accommodation. They must get written consent from their housing association. Sometimes a housing association must make improvements to a home or adapt a home to suit the tenant's needs.

Getting permission to improve rented accommodation

If you're a secure tenant in housing association accommodation, you have the right to improve your home if you have written permission from the landlord. The housing association is your landlord.

Home improvements your housing association needs to approve

Your tenancy agreement should include types of improvements and alterations the landlord needs to approve before you can do the work.

You need to tell the landlord if you want to do major work in your home such as:

  • building an extension
  • erecting a garage, shed or greenhouse
  • fitting a new bathroom
  • fitting a satellite dish
  • fitting an aerial
  • installing a gas fire
  • installing central heating
  • installing extra electrical sockets
  • plumbing
  • putting in a new fireplace
  • redecorating the outside of your home
  • replacing doors
  • replacing or altering windows

Compensation for making improvements to your home

You may be able to claim compensation from your association for  certain improvements you made to your home. You can only claim the compensation for improvements when your tenancy ends.

Adapting your home

If your home isn't suitable for your physical access or health needs, you might be able to adapt your home. Contact the Health and Social Services Trust and ask about adapting your home. You can also ask your GP or social worker. They can refer you to the local Trust. 

An occupational therapist will need to make a recommendation to your housing association about adapting your home. 

To apply for permission to carry out your own adaptions, you must ask your housing association:

More useful links

Share this page


Your comments are anonymous and can’t be responded to - if you would like a reply, use the feedback form.

Your comments
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum. Don't include personal or financial information.