Hearing care and services

If you are experiencing problems with your hearing, contact your doctor or your local trust to find out about the range of services available.

The Health Service

If you are over 16, hearing therapists are available in some Health Service areas to help you adapt to a hearing loss. They can provide an individual programme of support and communication training. Counselling may also be arranged for you and, if necessary, the people you live with.

They also give advice about equipment and services. The Health Service provides hearing aids and maintenance of them for free.

Equipment and support from your local trust

You usually won't have to pay for equipment as it will be on loan to you. Information can be provided to you about:

  • interpreter services for sign language users
  • lip-reading classes run by social services, the local education authority, clubs or clinics

To find out what is offered in your area, contact your local trust and ask to be put in contact with the person who works with deaf or hard of hearing people.

More useful links

Share this page


Your comments are anonymous and can’t be responded to - if you would like a reply, use the feedback form.

Your comments
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum. Don't include personal or financial information.