Forecasting your pension

It's important to keep track of how much State Pension you will receive from the Government and how much pension you will receive from workplace/private pension schemes you or your employer have paid into when you reach State Pension age.

Getting a State Pension forecast

You can get a forecast of what you may receive from the Government as a State Pension using the Check Your State Pension online service.

This forecast is based on an estimate of what your National Insurance record could be when you reach State Pension age. The online service will also provide information about how you can increase your State Pension, if you can.

Getting a personal or workplace pension statement

You can ask your pension provider for a statement of what your pension might pay when you retire. The pension provider may be your employer if you contribute to a workplace pension scheme, or your personal pension provider.

If you have a defined benefit (salary-related) workplace pension you can request an annual statement. Some pension companies send statements automatically. If you have a defined contribution (non salary-related) workplace pension you must receive an annual statement. For defined contribution schemes the statement may include a forecast of how much you could get when you retire. If a forecast isn't included you can ask for one.

Bear in mind that your statement is only an estimate and is based on a number of assumptions:

Personal pension or defined contribution workplace pension

The amount you'll get from your personal pension and any defined contribution ('money purchase') workplace pension will depend mainly on:

  • how much you've paid in and how well it was invested
  • the age at which you retire
  • whether you make provision for a survivor's pension

Defined benefit workplace pension

The amount you'll get from a defined benefit (salary related) workplace pension will depend on:

  • the number of years you've been a member of the scheme
  • your salary – usually when you retire or leave the scheme

Finding an old pension

If you have lost track of a personal or workplace pension scheme, use the online service to help trace your pension scheme’s contact details. Find out more on the following nidirect page or by contacting the Pension Tracing Service:

Share this page


Your comments are anonymous and can’t be responded to - if you would like a reply, use the feedback form.

Your comments
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum. Don't include personal or financial information.