Disabled Facilities Grants

A Disabled Facilities Grant is provided by the Northern Ireland Housing Executive (NIHE) to help to improve the home of a person with a disability, and may be based on the recommendation of an occupational therapist.

Who can apply

Owner occupiers, landlords or private tenants can get help to carry out adaptations, provided there is a person with a disability living in the house.

What you can use it for

Only works recommended by your local occupational therapist (unless agreed differently by the local health trust and the Housing Executive) can be considered for grant aid. Typical work may include:

  • improving access to your bathroom, living room or bedroom
  • providing additional bathroom facilities
  • making the preparation and cooking of food easier - for example, by enlarging the kitchen or providing low-level units
  • adapting lighting or heating controls
  • improving your heating system

An occupational therapist will look at your circumstances and can recommend the type of adaptations needed.

How much you can get

The amount of grant paid depends on the approved cost of the work and your financial circumstances. If you are on a low income you may get grant aid up to a maximum of £25,000. A calculation will be made to decide if you have to make a contribution.

Contact your local Housing Executive office for further details and a guide to how much grant you might get.

Doing other work

You can do other work but the costs for this will have to be paid by you and will not be grant-aided by the Housing Executive.

How to apply

Contact your local Health and Social Services Trust, who will answer your questions, start the process and contact the Housing Executive. You can also speak to your GP or social worker.

Your application

If you need help with your application, your local Housing Executive grants' office will answer your questions at any stage of the process. If you are elderly or have special needs, it has arrangements with independent agencies to help you.

Work must not start until you have approval from the Housing Executive.

Receiving your grant payment

You will be paid when the work is finished and acceptable to the Occupational Therapist and the Housing Executive and you have sent the Housing Executive all accounts, receipts and certificates. You can receive payments during the work if the grants' manager agrees to this.

More useful links

Share this page


Your comments are anonymous and can’t be responded to - if you would like a reply, use the feedback form.

Your comments
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum. Don't include personal or financial information.