Bins and waste collection

Your local council is responsible for the collection and disposal of waste in your area. You can find out more information on getting a bin and recycling on this page.

When your bins and waste are collected

For more information on how often household waste is collected from your home, you should contact your local council. You should also contact your local council if your bin is missed from the normal collection.

Councils also operate household waste recycling centres, where you can deposit waste from households free of charge. Contact your local council for more details.

Council bins

If your bin is lost or stolen you should contact your council straight away to get a replacement. The council may charge you for this. The council will also advise you on how you can secure your bin to avoid theft.

Recycling your waste

All councils in Northern Ireland now collect waste for recycling directly from outside your home. The recyclable materials are either collected in boxes or wheeled bins which have been provided specifically for this service.

A number of councils also collect garden and food waste separately.

How you can dispose of bulky waste items

For more information on the disposal of larger items, please use the link below:

You can also take larger items to your council's recycling centre yourself. Contact your council environmental services or waste management department to find out the arrangements in your area.

More useful links

Share this page


Would you like to leave feedback about this page? Send us your feedback