Disposal of bulky items

When you no longer need an old sofa, cooker, washing machine or fridge, you're responsible for safely disposing of your unwanted, bulky item. You must make sure it doesn't harm the environment or human health. Local councils can arrange to collect and safely dispose of bulky household items.

Arranging collection or recycling of bulky household items

If you are a householder, your council must provide a collection service for bulky items. Some councils charge for this service.

It is free to bring your household appliance to a local recycling centre for recycling, recovery or disposal.

Before you ask for collection or bring the item to the recycling centre, make sure you clean or  empty any contents. 

Authorised waste collection

If you give your waste to someone else for disposal, you must make sure they are authorised to take it.  You must only give waste to:

  • local council waste services
  • council-authorised waste contractor
  • licensed private waste operator
  • registered waste carrier

Donating appliances to charities

Some local traders or charities may accept appliances in good working order.
If a local trader offers to collect and dispose of your appliance, you must check they will dispose of it legally.


Fly-tipping is illegal. Dumped refrigerators and freezers are hazardous to children or pets who may be harmed or become trapped inside.

To read more about fly-tipping, go to:

Report waste crime

It is a criminal offence to dump or burn waste where it's not allowed, or allow others to do this.

Waste crime:

  • harms the environment
  • creates a human health hazard
  • detracts from an area

If you notice or suspect waste crime, you can report this. 

More useful links

Share this page


Your comments are anonymous and can’t be responded to - if you would like a reply, use the feedback form.

Your comments
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum. Don't include personal or financial information.