Advice on conceiving and preparing for pregnancy

If you’re trying for a baby there are things you can do to help make sure you have a safe and comfortable pregnancy - and that your child is healthy.

Guidance for pregnant women and information on what is happening in their regional unit during the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak can be found on NI Maternity

General health

It is important to take regular, moderate exercise so that your body is in good shape for pregnancy and you have plenty of energy and stamina for labour and caring for a baby.

You should also try to follow a healthy, balanced diet by trying to eat

  • plenty of fruit and vegetables (this can include fresh, frozen, tinned, dried produce, or a glass of juice) – aim for at least five portions a day
  • plenty of starchy foods such as bread, pasta, rice and potatoes (choose wholegrain options where you can)
  • protein-rich food such as lean meat, chicken, fish, eggs and pulses (beans and lentils)
  • dairy foods such as milk, cheese and yoghurt, which contain calcium

You should try to avoid:

  • processed foods and foods that are high in fats and sugar

Eating lots of dark green leafy vegetables (for example cabbage, broccoli, and Brussel sprouts), parsnips, peas and oranges is important around conception and during early pregnancy as they contain folate.

Getting plenty of this B vitamin can help prevent neural tube defects such as spina bifida.

Body weight

The range of healthy weight is defined by the body mass index (BMI). A healthy weight is a BMI of between 20 and 25.

It can take longer to get pregnant if you are underweight (your BMI is under 19) or you are obese (your BMI is 30 or above). If you are underweight or overweight and you have irregular or no periods, reaching a healthy weight will help your ovaries to start working again.

If you are overweight, taking part in a group exercise and diet programme gives you a better chance of getting pregnant than trying to lose weight on your own.

Men who have a BMI of 30 or above are likely to have reduced fertility.

How often to have sexual intercourse

To give yourselves the best chance of success, try to have sex every two to three days. If you are under psychological stress, it can affect your relationship and is likely to reduce your sex drive.

If this means you do not have sex as often as usual, this may also affect you or your partner’s chances of getting pregnant.


Drinking even moderate amounts of alcohol can harm your chances of conceiving. This applies to both men and women, so if you are having trouble conceiving, you should cut out alcohol completely and see if this helps.

In women, alcohol can harm developing babies. The safest approach if you are pregnant, or trying to get pregnant, is to choose not to drink alcohol at all.

For men, your fertility is unlikely to be affected if your alcohol intake is within the recommended limit of 14 units of alcohol per week. Drinking too much alcohol can affect semen quality.


Smoking also significantly lowers your chances of getting pregnant, increases your chance of miscarriage and, if you continue to smoke during pregnancy, your baby may be harmed.

Medicines and drugs

Some prescription and over-the-counter medicines can interfere with your fertility. Your GP should ask you about any medicines you are taking and offer you advice.

They should also ask you about recreational drugs, such as cannabis, cocaine and anabolic steroids) as these can also interfere with your fertility and damage a developing baby.

If you are on the pill

If your pregnancy is planned and you are on the pill, it’s best to wait three months after stopping before trying to conceive to reduce the risk of miscarriage.

Your doctor can advise on other forms of contraception.

Vitamins and minerals

Your local pharmacist should be able to provide you with a simple multivitamin and mineral supplement suitable for pregnancy.

Folic acid

If you are trying to get pregnant, you should take folic acid tablets (400 micrograms) every day. Taking folic acid when you are trying for a baby and for the first 12 weeks of pregnancy reduces the risk of having a baby with neural tube defects (where parts of the brain or spinal cord do not form properly), such as spina bifida.

You can get these tablets from a supermarket or pharmacist.

You should also eat foods that contain this important vitamin as well. These include green, leafy vegetables, breakfast cereals and breads with added folic acid.

You will need a bigger dose of folic acid (5 milligrams) to be prescribed by your GP if you

Rubella (German measles)

If you’re unsure whether you are immune to rubella, ask your doctor to check your immunity status three months before you plan to conceive.

If you are not immune, you should have a rubella vaccination before you try to become pregnant because infection with rubella can cause serious sight, hearing, heart and brain defects (congenital rubella syndrome) to the baby.

You should avoid pregnancy for one month after your rubella vaccination.

Cervical smear tests

Your GP should ask you when you last had a cervical smear test and what the result was. If a cervical smear test is due, you should have this test before you try to get pregnant.

Your work

At work, some people are exposed to x-rays, pesticides or other things that may affect their fertility. Your GP should as you about the work that you do and should advise you about any possible risks to your fertility.

Get a general health check

Planning a pregnancy is a good chance for both parents to get a full health check. If your doctor plans to prescribe you new medications or antibiotics, remind them that you are planning a pregnancy.

If there is a family history of medical conditions on either side, such as cystic fibrosis or diabetes, let your doctor know. You may need genetic counselling with a trained specialist or referral for diabetic specialist preparation to pregnancy.

Some sexually transmitted infections (STIs) can be passed on to your baby during pregnancy, so make sure you have both been treated for any infections before planning to conceive.

If the mother has a medical condition such as diabetes or epilepsy, or is being treated for depression or other mental illness, medications for these will need to be checked before conceiving to make sure they will not affect the baby.

Avoid stress

Stress has been shown to have effects on blood pressure, hormones and the menstrual cycle. If you are trying to conceive or are having problems conceiving, try to eliminate any stressful areas in your daily life.

The best time to get pregnant

You are most likely to conceive if you have sex within a day or so of ovulation. This is usually about 14 days after the first day of your last period.

An egg lives for about 12-24 hours after it is released. For you to become pregnant, the egg must be fertilised within this time. Sperm can live for up to seven days inside a woman’s body. So, if you have had sex in the seven days before ovulation, the sperm will have had time to travel up the fallopian tubes to ‘wait’ for the egg to be released.

Fertility treatment

Getting pregnant may happen immediately, though for some people the wait will be much longer. If you are experiencing problems conceiving and you are worried that one of you might be infertile, talk to your doctor, who will organise a test.

Once the results of the tests have been examined, your doctor will suggest a suitable method of treatment.

Some options could include:

  • a course of medication to stimulate ovulation
  • sperm or egg donation
  • intrauterine insemination (IUI)
  • in vitro fertilisation (IVF)

More useful links

Share this page

What do you want to do?
What is your question about?
Do you want a reply?
Your email address
To reply to you, we need your email address
Your feedback

We will not reply to your feedback.  Don't include any personal or financial information, for example National Insurance, credit card numbers, or phone numbers.

This feedback form is for issues with the nidirect website only.

You can use it to report a problem or suggest an improvement to a webpage.

If you have a question about a government service or policy, you should contact the relevant government organisation directly as we don’t have access to information about you held by government departments.

You must be aged 13 years or older - if you’re younger, ask someone with parental responsibility to send the feedback for you.

The nidirect privacy notice applies to any information you send on this feedback form.

Don't include any personal or financial information, for example National Insurance, credit card numbers, or phone numbers.

Plain text only, 750 characters maximum.
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum.

What to do next

Comments or queries about angling can be emailed to 

What to do next

If you have a comment or query about benefits, you will need to contact the government department or agency which handles that benefit.  Contacts for common benefits are listed below.

Carer's Allowance

Call 0800 587 0912

Discretionary support / Short-term benefit advance

Call 0800 587 2750 

Disability Living Allowance

Call 0800 587 0912 

Employment and Support Allowance

Call 0800 587 1377

Jobseeker’s Allowance

Contact your local Jobs & Benefits office

Personal Independence Payment

Call 0800 587 0932

If your query is about another benefit, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.

What to do next

Comments or queries about the Blue Badge scheme can be emailed to or you can also call 0300 200 7818.

What to do next

For queries or advice about careers, contact the Careers Service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about Child Maintenance, contact the Child Maintenance Service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about claiming compensation due to a road problem, contact DFI Roads claim unit.

What to do next

For queries or advice about criminal record checks, email

What to do next

Application and payment queries can be emailed to

What to do next

For queries or advice about employment rights, contact the Labour Relations Agency.

What to do next

For queries or advice about birth, death, marriage and civil partnership certificates and research, contact the General Register Office Northern Ireland (GRONI) by email

What to do next

For queries about:

If your query is about another topic, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.

What to do next

For queries or advice about passports, contact HM Passport Office.

What to do next

For queries or advice about Penalty Charge Notices (PCNs), including parking tickets and bus lane PCNs, email

What to do next

For queries or advice about pensions, contact the Northern Ireland Pension Centre.

What to do next

If you wish to report a problem with a road or street you can do so online in this section.

If you wish to check on a problem or fault you have already reported, contact DfI Roads.

What to do next

For queries or advice about historical, social or cultural records relating to Northern Ireland, use the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI) enquiry service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about rates, email:

For queries or advice about property valuation, email:

For queries or advice about land registry, email:

For mapping queries, email:

What to do next

If you can’t find the information you’re looking for in the Coronavirus (COVID-19) section, then for queries about:

If your query is about another topic, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.

What to do next

For queries or advice about  60+ and Senior Citizen SmartPasses (which can be used to get concessionary travel on public transport), contact Smartpass - Translink.