Book an MOT/ vehicle test online
Book your MOT appointment/ vehicle test as soon as you get your reminder letter but note that the Driver and Vehicle Agency (DVA) is experiencing high demand.
Before you start
If you can't get an appointment before your existing MOT expires you must book the earliest available appointment. For more details, visit Coronavirus (COVID-19) and motoring. DVA apologise for any inconvenience.
You can use this service to book the following;
- MOT/ vehicle test appointment
- MOT/ vehicle re-test appointment (within 21 days of the full test)
- heavy goods vehicle (HGV) test
- light goods vehicle (LGV) test
- trailer test
- taximeter test
- vehicle acquittal - acquittals for all vehicles including taxis are booked through the cars, motorcycles, LGV, HGV and light passenger carrying vehicles section.
When booking a vehicle test you’ll need:
- the vehicle registration number
- the last four digits of the chassis number
- if using the online or telephone service, a debit or credit card
DVA is unable to accept payment by Maestro debit card for vehicle test bookings.
If you’re a company that has a local arrangement with a DVA test centre, you will need to log into the service and enter your details to book your appointments. You only need to log into the service if you're a large vehicle or large driving school operator that has signed an agreement with the DVA.
Booking by telephone
You can book a vehicle test by calling the booking line on: 0300 200 7862 (except for multiple vehicle bookings).
Lines are open from 9.00 am to 5.00 pm Monday to Friday.
Taxis and buses
You can only book a taxi and bus test appointment after you have applied for a licence and the vehicle has been approved for testing by DVA’s passenger transport licensing division.
If you have a new class A or B taxi, they need a taximeter test, before you can book a vehicle test. A taximeter is also needed where a taximeter has been changed, repaired or if the seal is damaged.
For more information on how to apply see the links below.
- Renewal applicants can check their licence expiry date by logging online to the taxi and bus licensing system or they will get the expiry date on their vehicle licence reminder which will issue six/ eight weeks before the licence expiry date.
The categories below can also book a test but will not receive an automatic reminder as these vehicles are not currently in the DVA system:
- vehicles not registered or not tested in Northern Ireland and due a test
- vehicles with MOT expired by more than 12 months
- vehicles currently declared SORN (only if the previous MOT has expired by more than 12 months or if the vehicle is now due its first test)
- buses due a first time test (not for ‘hire and reward’ use)
- first time taxis
Temporary Exemption Certificates (TECs)
Temporary Exemption Certificates (TECs) have now been applied to all eligible vehicles and no further TECs will be applied. For more details, visit Coronavirus (COVID-19) and motoring.
Change, cancel or view your appointment
Cancellations normally happen throughout the day, so this allows you to see the dates that have become available.
- Change your MOT/vehicle test appointment online
- Cancel your MOT/vehicle test appointment online
- View your MOT/vehicle test appointment online
You can find out how any personal information you send to the Department for Infrastructure (Driver and Vehicle Agency) when using this service will be handled by viewing their privacy notice.