Speak to your family about organ donation
Date published: 28 December 2017
Everyone is being encouraged to sit down with their loved ones and talk about their organ donation wishes. A family will always have to agree to donation, whether or not their loved one is on the Organ Donor Register. You can sign up to the register online.
Organ Donor Register
The organ donation system in Northern Ireland is based on opting in to being a donor, and donors’ families giving consent for their organs to be used.
Some families do not consent to the donation of their loved one’s organs, when faced with this choice. A common reason for refusing is that the potential donor’s family was not aware of their loved one’s wishes. So everyone is encouraged to make their organ donation intentions clear.
When you sign up to the Organ Donor Register you will be able to register to:
- be a donor
- not be a donor
- record the details of up to two representatives, if you feel you would want someone to make that decision for you after death
How to register
Every year around 15 people in Northern Ireland die while on the waiting list. By signing the register and talking to your family about your wishes, you could help save the lives of up to seven people. Organ donation really is the gift of life.
You can find out more, including how to join the register, on the page below:
If you want to join the Organ Donor Register by phone or text, contact:
- telephone: 0300 123 23 23
- text: SAVE to 84118
Anyone can register on the Organ Donor Register. Age isn’t a barrier to being an organ or tissue donor, and neither are most medical conditions. People in their 70s and 80s have become donors and saved many lives.
Have your say on organ donation
The public consultation closes on 5 March 2018.
More useful links
- Heavy rain warning - flooding advice and information 20 January 2018
- Snow and ice weather warning - information and advice 19 January 2018
- Advice on staying well during cold and flu season 12 January 2018
- Forest visitors - pay attention to warning signs and take care 11 January 2018
Would you like to leave feedback about this page? Send us your feedback