Put safety first at Halloween

Date published: 26 October 2020

Put safety first this Halloween to make sure it's a night for treats not tragedies. Fireworks and sparklers can be dangerous, so make sure they are used safely and in line with the manufacturer’s instructions. Follow the Firework Code.


Fireworks and health advice

Due to COVID-19 restrictions, Halloween will be celebrated very differently this year. 

There is advice about how to have fun while sticking to the health guidance.

People will be celebrating it at home rather than going to the large publically-planned firework displays that would normally take place. This will increase the risk of fire.

Anyone wishing to buy or use fireworks must have a licence.

Although fireworks are entertaining and exciting, if not properly handled they can be extremely dangerous and can result in injuries, often serious ones.

Fireworks should only be lit in a safe and controlled environment by a responsible adult. You should:

  • follow the Firework Code
  • only buy fireworks marked with a CE mark – this shows fireworks meet European Safety Standards
  • not drink alcohol if setting off fireworks
  • keep fireworks in a closed box when not in use and keep away from anything that could cause them to light 
  • follow the manufacturer’s advice on each firework and use them one at a time
  • light them at arm’s length using a taper and stand well back
  • never go near a firework that has been lit, even if it hasn’t gone off - it could still explode
  • never put fireworks in their pocket or throw them
  • always supervise children around fireworks
  • keep pets and animals indoors – the flames and noise upset them
  • not set off noisy fireworks late at night and never after 11.00 pm

There’s more information about firework safety at the following link:

Fireworks can cause fear and distress, especially amongst older people and more vulnerable members of the community.

You are also reminded of the traumatic effects that fireworks can have on pets and farm animals.


Sparklers are often seen as being harmless but they do burn at fierce temperatures.

To a young child, the heat from a sparkler is equivalent to the heat from a welding torch.

You should:

  • store sparklers in a closed box in a cool, dry place
  • always light sparklers one at a time and wear gloves, keeping them at arm’s length
  • never hold a sparkler in their hand while also holding a baby or child 
  • plunge finished sparklers hot end down into a bucket of water as soon as they have burnt out (sparklers stay hot for a long time)
  • not take sparklers to public displays - it will be too crowded to use them safely
  • never give sparklers to children under the age of five – they will not understand how to use them safely
  • always supervise children using sparklers, teach them how to use them properly, and give children woollen gloves to wear 

Fancy dress costumes

Parents should be aware of the potential dangers of their children wearing fancy dress costumes, either shop bought or home-made, if they're around fireworks, sparklers, or open flames (such as pumpkins or turnips with candles).

If a child is wearing a fancy dress costume this Halloween:

  • keep them away from naked flames – avoid using a naked flame or candle in pumpkins or turnips; use a torch, glow stick or battery-operated candle
  • stop, drop and roll if clothing does catch on fire – to try to put the flames out and also to stop the flames from rising towards the face
  • choose a costume and mask that doesn’t restrict a child’s visibility or vision
  • make sure they wear woollen tights or ‘heavy’ trousers (jeans) and a woollen jumper under the costume
  • supervise them well at all times

Look out for costumes that are labelled ‘Low Flammability’ ‘BS5722’ or have the European code ‘BS EN 14878’.

Fireworks and the law

Fireworks must be bought from a licensed dealer, who is required to keep sales records.

Fireworks bought from other sources could be of a sub-standard quality, presenting an even bigger risk of injury. It is also essential that you have a licence when buying any fireworks.

You can find a list of licensed dealers on the fireworks page.

For any enquiries on the use of fireworks, phone the fireworks helpline

More useful links

Share this page

What do you want to do?
What is your question about?
Do you want a reply?
Your email address
To reply to you, we need your email address
Your feedback

We will not reply to your feedback.  Don't include any personal or financial information, for example National Insurance, credit card numbers, or phone numbers.

This feedback form is for issues with the nidirect website only.

You can use it to report a problem or suggest an improvement to a webpage.

If you have a question about a government service or policy, you should contact the relevant government organisation directly as we don’t have access to information about you held by government departments.

You must be aged 13 years or older - if you’re younger, ask someone with parental responsibility to send the feedback for you.

The nidirect privacy notice applies to any information you send on this feedback form.

Don't include any personal or financial information, for example National Insurance, credit card numbers, or phone numbers.

Plain text only, 750 characters maximum.
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum.

What to do next

Comments or queries about angling can be emailed to anglingcorrespondence@daera-ni.gov.uk 

What to do next

If you have a comment or query about benefits, you will need to contact the government department or agency which handles that benefit.  Contacts for common benefits are listed below.

Carer's Allowance

Call 0800 587 0912

Discretionary support / Short-term benefit advance

Call 0800 587 2750 

Disability Living Allowance

Call 0800 587 0912 
Email dcs.incomingpostteamdhc2@nissa.gsi.gov.uk

Employment and Support Allowance

Call 0800 587 1377

Jobseeker’s Allowance

Contact your local Jobs & Benefits office

Personal Independence Payment

Call 0800 587 0932

If your query is about another benefit, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.

What to do next

Comments or queries about the Blue Badge scheme can be emailed to bluebadges@infrastructure-ni.gov.uk or you can also call 0300 200 7818.

What to do next

For queries or advice about careers, contact the Careers Service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about Child Maintenance, contact the Child Maintenance Service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about claiming compensation due to a road problem, contact DFI Roads claim unit.

What to do next

For queries or advice about criminal record checks, email ani@accessni.gov.uk

What to do next

Application and payment queries can be emailed to ema_ni@slc.co.uk

What to do next

For queries or advice about employment rights, contact the Labour Relations Agency.

What to do next

For queries or advice about birth, death, marriage and civil partnership certificates and research, contact the General Register Office Northern Ireland (GRONI) by email gro_nisra@finance-ni.gov.uk

What to do next

For queries about:

If your query is about another topic, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.

What to do next

For queries or advice about passports, contact HM Passport Office.

What to do next

For queries or advice about Penalty Charge Notices (PCNs), including parking tickets and bus lane PCNs, email dcu@infrastructure-ni.gov.uk

What to do next

For queries or advice about pensions, contact the Northern Ireland Pension Centre.

What to do next

If you wish to report a problem with a road or street you can do so online in this section.

If you wish to check on a problem or fault you have already reported, contact DfI Roads.

What to do next

For queries or advice about historical, social or cultural records relating to Northern Ireland, use the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI) enquiry service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about rates, email:

For queries or advice about property valuation, email:

For queries or advice about land registry, email:

For mapping queries, email:

What to do next

For queries or advice about  60+ and Senior Citizen SmartPasses (which can be used to get concessionary travel on public transport), contact Smartpass - Translink.