MRSA infection

MRSA is a type of bacteria (germ) that's resistant to a number of widely used antibiotics. This means MRSA infections can be more difficult to treat than other infections. MRSA is a common cause of skin, soft tissue, and bone infections. Some of these infections can be life-threatening.

Symptoms of MRSA infection 

The full name of MRSA is methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus.

Staphylococcus aureus (also known as staph) is a common type of bacteria. It's often carried on the skin, in the gut, and inside the nostrils and throat. 

MRSA is a strain of staph that is resistant to many commonly prescribed antibiotics. This makes an infection more difficult to treat. Most MRSA infection is picked up through contact with someone with MRSA in a healthcare setting.

The symptoms of an MRSA infection will depend on what part of the body is infected.

Skin and soft tissue MRSA infections 

If MRSA infects the skin, it can result in a wound infection, boil or abscess.

If it infects the deeper layers of skin, it's known as cellulitis.

Typical symptoms are:

  • redness
  • swelling
  • tenderness
  • pain
  • a discharge of pus

Some people have additional symptoms, such as a:

  • high temperature (fever)
  • general feeling of being unwell

These infections can also be caused by bacteria other than MRSA, so having the symptoms above doesn't necessarily mean you have MRSA.

Invasive MRSA infections 

If the MRSA bacteria penetrate deeper inside your body or into your blood, they can cause a more serious, invasive infection (which can spread quickly). This can occur, for example, following a surgical procedure, or treatment in hospital.

Signs of an invasive infection include:

  • a high temperature of 38C (100.4F) or above
  • chills
  • generally feeling unwell 
  • dizziness
  • confusion
  • muscle aches and pains
  • pain, swelling and tenderness in the affected body part 

Examples of invasive MRSA infections include:

How do you get MRSA? 

MRSA bacteria are usually spread through skin-to-skin contact. This can be contact with someone who has an MRSA infection or has the bacteria living on their skin.

In Northern Ireland, most MRSA infections that happen outside hospital occur in people who have had direct or indirect contact with hospitals, residential or nursing homes, and other healthcare facilities.

These strains of healthcare-associated MRSA may be carried without any symptoms for months by someone who has recently been in a healthcare facility.

The bacteria can also be spread through contact with contaminated objects such as:

  • towels
  • sheets
  • clothes
  • dressings
  • surfaces
  • door handles
  • floors

People staying in hospital are most at risk of becoming infected with MRSA because:

  • they're surrounded by a large number of people, which means the bacteria can spread more easily
  • they often have an entry point for the bacteria to get into their body, such as a surgical wound or urinary catheter
  • they may have serious or complex health problems, which makes them more vulnerable to infection

It's also possible to become infected with MRSA outside of hospital. This is much less common.

Preventing MRSA 

In recent years, rates of MRSA have fallen. This is because of increased awareness of the infection by both medical staff and the public.

However, MRSA can still be a risk in healthcare facilities. Healthcare staff and the public should always follow infection control advice, to prevent MRSA and other infections.

Some people who need to be admitted to hospital will have MRSA screening beforehand (see below). There are also some things you can do yourself to reduce your risk of becoming infected. These include:

  • washing your hands often – especially after using the toilet, and before and after eating
  • following any advice you're given about wound care and devices that could lead to infection (such as urinary catheters)

If you're visiting someone in hospital, you can reduce the chance of spreading MRSA by cleaning your hands before and after entering the ward.

You should also use hand wipes or hand gel before touching the person you're visiting.

You can also help reduce the risk of infection by reporting any unclean toilet or bathroom facilities to staff – don't be afraid to talk to staff if you're concerned about hygiene.

Screening for MRSA 

Some patients admitted to hospital for planned or emergency care are screened to see if they carry MRSA on their skin.

This helps to reduce the chance of patients developing an MRSA infection or passing an infection on to other patients.

During the screening process, a cotton bud (swab) will be run over your skin so it can be checked for MRSA bacteria. If MRSA bacteria are found, your doctor will talk to you about your treatment.

This may include treatment with antibacterial bodywash or shampoo and nasal cream to remove the bacteria from your skin before you're admitted.

Treating MRSA infections 

MRSA infections can be more difficult to treat than other bacterial infections. But they're still treatable because the MRSA bacteria aren't resistant to all antibiotics.

Minor skin infections may not always require any treatment, other than draining away any pus from the site of the infection.

In most other cases, you’ll usually be treated with antibiotics and your doctor will talk to you about the most appropriate antibiotics.



The information on this page has been adapted from original content from the NHS website.

For further information see terms and conditions.

Health conditions A to Z

Search by health condition or symptoms

Or find conditions beginning with …

Share this page

What do you want to do?
What is your question about?
Do you want a reply?
Your email address
To reply to you, we need your email address
Your feedback

We will not reply to your feedback.  Don't include any personal or financial information, for example National Insurance, credit card numbers, or phone numbers.

This feedback form is for issues with the nidirect website only.

You can use it to report a problem or suggest an improvement to a webpage.

If you have a question about a government service or policy, you should contact the relevant government organisation directly as we don’t have access to information about you held by government departments.

You must be aged 13 years or older - if you’re younger, ask someone with parental responsibility to send the feedback for you.

The nidirect privacy notice applies to any information you send on this feedback form.

Don't include any personal or financial information, for example National Insurance, credit card numbers, or phone numbers.

Plain text only, 750 characters maximum.
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum.

What to do next

Comments or queries about angling can be emailed to 

What to do next

If you have a comment or query about benefits, you will need to contact the government department or agency which handles that benefit.  Contacts for common benefits are listed below.

Carer's Allowance

Call 0800 587 0912

Discretionary support / Short-term benefit advance

Call 0800 587 2750 

Disability Living Allowance

Call 0800 587 0912 

Employment and Support Allowance

Call 0800 587 1377

Jobseeker’s Allowance

Contact your local Jobs & Benefits office

Personal Independence Payment

Call 0800 587 0932

If your query is about another benefit, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.

What to do next

Comments or queries about the Blue Badge scheme can be emailed to or you can also call 0300 200 7818.

What to do next

For queries or advice about careers, contact the Careers Service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about Child Maintenance, contact the Child Maintenance Service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about claiming compensation due to a road problem, contact DFI Roads claim unit.

What to do next

For queries or advice about criminal record checks, email

What to do next

Application and payment queries can be emailed to

What to do next

For queries or advice about employment rights, contact the Labour Relations Agency.

What to do next

For queries or advice about birth, death, marriage and civil partnership certificates and research, contact the General Register Office Northern Ireland (GRONI) by email

What to do next

For queries about:

If your query is about another topic, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.

What to do next

For queries or advice about passports, contact HM Passport Office.

What to do next

For queries or advice about Penalty Charge Notices (PCNs), including parking tickets and bus lane PCNs, email

What to do next

For queries or advice about pensions, contact the Northern Ireland Pension Centre.

What to do next

If you wish to report a problem with a road or street you can do so online in this section.

If you wish to check on a problem or fault you have already reported, contact DfI Roads.

What to do next

For queries or advice about historical, social or cultural records relating to Northern Ireland, use the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI) enquiry service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about rates, email

What to do next

For queries or advice about  60+ and Senior Citizen SmartPasses (which can be used to get concessionary travel on public transport), contact Smartpass - Translink.