Intracranial hypertension (IH)

Intracranial hypertension (IH) is the medical name for a build-up of pressure around the brain.

About intracranial hypertension (IH)

Intracranial hypertension (IH) can come on suddenly – for example, as the result of a severe head injurystroke or brain abscess. This is known as acute IH.

It can also be a persistent, long-lasting problem – known as chronic IH. This is rare and sometimes it's not clear why it happens. This page focuses on chronic IH.

Symptoms of chronic IH

Symptoms of chronic IH can include:

  • a constant throbbing headache – this may be worse in the morning, or when coughing or straining; it may improve when standing up
  • blurred or double vision
  • temporary loss of vision – your vision may become dark or "greyed out" for a few seconds at a time; this can be triggered by coughing, sneezing or bending down
  • feeling and being sick
  • drowsiness and irritability

Chronic IH can sometimes result in permanent vision loss, although treatment can help reduce the chances of this happening.

Causes of chronic IH

Possible causes of chronic IH include:

  • a blood clot on the surface of the brain – known as a chronic subdural haematoma
  • brain tumour
  • a brain infection – such as meningitis or encephalitis
  • hydrocephalus– a build-up of fluid around and inside the brain
  • blood vessel abnormalities – such as an arteriovenous fistula or arteriovenous malformation
  • a blood clot in one of the veins of the brain – known as a venous sinus thrombosis

Rare causes include a blockage in the circulation of fluid at the bottom of the skull (Chiari malformation), inflammation of the blood vessels in the brain (vasculitis) and abnormal skull growth in children (craniosynostosis).

Idiopathic IH

In many cases, the cause of chronic IH is unclear. This is known as idiopathic IH, or sometimes benign IH.

It mainly affects women in their 20s and 30s, and has been associated with:

But these are only linked with idiopathic IH, they're not necessarily causes. You can find a full list of conditions and medications associated with idiopathic IH  on the IIH UK website.

Tests for chronic IH

IH may be suspected if you have symptoms of increased pressure on your brain, such as vision problems and headaches.

Several tests may be carried out to diagnose it, such as:

  • an examination to check functions like your muscle strength, reflexes and balance – any issues could be a sign of a problem with your brain or nerves
  • an assessment of your eyes and vision
  • computerised tomography (CT) scan or magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scan of your brain
  • lumbar puncture – where a needle is inserted into your spine – to check for high pressure in the fluid that surrounds your brain and spinal cord

Idiopathic IH may be diagnosed if you have increased pressure on your brain and no other cause can be found.

Treatments for chronic IH

Treatment for IH depends on the underlying cause, if this is known.

The main treatments for idiopathic IH are:

  • losing weight if you're overweight – this can often help reduce symptoms and may sometimes relieve them altogether
  • stopping any medication that may be causing your symptoms
  • medication to remove excess fluid from the body (diuretics) 
  • medication to reduce the production of cerebrospinal fluid in your brain
  • a short course of steroid medication to relieve headaches and reduce the risk of vision loss
  • regular lumbar punctures to remove excess fluid from your spine and help reduce the pressure on your brain


Surgery may be considered if other treatments don't help.

The main types of surgery for chronic IH are:

  • shunt surgery  – a thin, flexible tube is inserted into the fluid-filled space in your skull or spine to divert excess fluid to another part of your body
  • optic nerve sheath fenestration  – the protective layer surrounding your optic nerve, the nerve connecting the eye to the brain, is opened up to relieve pressure on it and allow fluid to drain away

These procedures can provide relief from your symptoms, but they also carry a risk of potentially serious complications. Talk to your surgeon about what your operation involves and what the risks are.

Outlook for chronic IH

Chronic IH can be life-threatening if it remains undiagnosed and the underlying causes are not treated. You should be referred to a specialist as soon as possible if your doctor suspects it.

Idiopathic IH isn't usually life threatening but can be a lifelong problem. While many people find their symptoms are relieved with treatment, the symptoms can recur and can have a significant impact on your life.

There's also a risk that you could lose your vision, even though treatment can help reduce this risk.

Permanent vision loss is estimated to occur in between 1 in every 5 to 20 people with idiopathic IH.

The information on this page has been adapted from original content from the NHS website.

For further information see terms and conditions.

Health conditions A to Z

Search by health condition or symptoms

Or find conditions beginning with …

Share this page

What do you want to do?
What is your question about?
Do you want a reply?
Your email address
To reply to you, we need your email address
Your feedback

We will not reply to your feedback.  Don't include any personal or financial information, for example National Insurance, credit card numbers, or phone numbers.

This feedback form is for issues with the nidirect website only.

You can use it to report a problem or suggest an improvement to a webpage.

If you have a question about a government service or policy, you should contact the relevant government organisation directly as we don’t have access to information about you held by government departments.

You must be aged 13 years or older - if you’re younger, ask someone with parental responsibility to send the feedback for you.

The nidirect privacy notice applies to any information you send on this feedback form.

Don't include any personal or financial information, for example National Insurance, credit card numbers, or phone numbers.

Plain text only, 750 characters maximum.
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum.

What to do next

Comments or queries about angling can be emailed to 

What to do next

If you have a comment or query about benefits, you will need to contact the government department or agency which handles that benefit.  Contacts for common benefits are listed below.

Carer's Allowance

Call 0800 587 0912

Discretionary support / Short-term benefit advance

Call 0800 587 2750 

Disability Living Allowance

Call 0800 587 0912 

Employment and Support Allowance

Call 0800 587 1377

Jobseeker’s Allowance

Contact your local Jobs & Benefits office

Personal Independence Payment

Call 0800 587 0932

If your query is about another benefit, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.

What to do next

Comments or queries about the Blue Badge scheme can be emailed to or you can also call 0300 200 7818.

What to do next

For queries or advice about careers, contact the Careers Service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about Child Maintenance, contact the Child Maintenance Service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about claiming compensation due to a road problem, contact DFI Roads claim unit.

What to do next

For queries or advice about criminal record checks, email

What to do next

Application and payment queries can be emailed to

What to do next

For queries or advice about employment rights, contact the Labour Relations Agency.

What to do next

For queries or advice about birth, death, marriage and civil partnership certificates and research, contact the General Register Office Northern Ireland (GRONI) by email

What to do next

For queries about:

If your query is about another topic, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.

What to do next

For queries or advice about passports, contact HM Passport Office.

What to do next

For queries or advice about Penalty Charge Notices (PCNs), including parking tickets and bus lane PCNs, email

What to do next

For queries or advice about pensions, contact the Northern Ireland Pension Centre.

What to do next

If you wish to report a problem with a road or street you can do so online in this section.

If you wish to check on a problem or fault you have already reported, contact DfI Roads.

What to do next

For queries or advice about historical, social or cultural records relating to Northern Ireland, use the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI) enquiry service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about rates, email:

For queries or advice about property valuation, email:

For queries or advice about land registry, email:

For mapping queries, email:

What to do next

For queries or advice about  60+ and Senior Citizen SmartPasses (which can be used to get concessionary travel on public transport), contact Smartpass - Translink.