Diabetic ketoacidosis

Diabetic ketoacidosis is a potentially life-threatening complication of diabetes caused by a lack of insulin in the body. It's important to seek medical advice quickly if you think that you or your child is experiencing the condition.

Causes of diabetic ketoacidosis 

Diabetic ketoacidosis is a complication of diabetes that can occur if the body starts to run out of insulin.

It's common in people with type 1 diabetes and can very occasionally affect those with type 2 diabetes. It sometimes develops in people who were previously unaware they had diabetes. Children and young adults are most at risk.

Insulin enables the body to use blood sugar (glucose). If there is a lack of insulin, or if it can't be used properly, the body will break down fat instead.

The breakdown of fat releases harmful, acidic substances called ketones.The lack of insulin in your body leads to high blood glucose levels (hyperglycaemia).

The combination of high ketone and blood sugar levels can cause a number of symptoms that can be very serious if the levels aren't corrected quickly. 

Symptoms of diabetic ketoacidosis  

The initial symptoms of diabetic ketoacidosis can develop quite suddenly. They will continue to get worse if not treated.

Early symptoms

In the early stages, the main signs of diabetic ketoacidosis include:

You may also develop other symptoms of dehydration, such as a dry mouth.

If you have your own device or kit to measure your blood sugar and/or ketone levels, you may notice that the levels of both of these are higher than normal.

Advanced symptoms

Left untreated, more advanced symptoms can develop, including:

  • rapid heartbeat (tachycardia)
  • rapid breathing, where you breathe in more oxygen than your body actually needs (hyperventilate) 
  • vomiting
  • dizziness
  • a smell of ketones on your breath, which can smell like pear drops or nail varnish remover 
  • confusion
  • drowsiness or loss of consciousness (coma)

In some cases, life-threatening complications of diabetic ketoacidosis can also develop.

When to seek medical advice 

You should contact immediately your GP for advice if:

  • you think you or your child are experiencing early symptoms of diabetic ketoacidosis
  • and, if you have blood self-testing equipment, self-testing shows you have a high blood glucose and/or ketone level

If your GP surgery is closed, call the GP out of hours service.

If you or someone in your care appears to be experiencing more advanced symptoms, go immediately to your emergency department.

Treatment for diabetic ketoacidosis 

In most cases, people with diabetic ketoacidosis will need to be treated in hospital.

While in hospital, you'll usually receive a combination of:

  • fluids directly into a vein to rehydrate your body 
  • insulin
  • replacement of minerals you may have lost, such as potassium

You'll be closely monitored to check how well you're responding to treatment.

As long as there are no further problems, you should be able to leave hospital when you're well enough to eat and drink normally; and when tests show a safe level of ketones in your body.

Before being discharged from hospital, a diabetes nurse will talk to you about why you developed diabetic ketoacidosis to help you prevent it happening again.

Be aware of the risk  

If you have type 1 diabetes, you're at risk of diabetic ketoacidosis when your:

  • insulin level drops
  • your blood sugar level starts to rise (hyperglycaemia)

This often occurs when you're ill with an infection such as flu or a urinary tract infection (UTI), as this causes the body to release extra hormones into your blood to help combat the illness.

These hormones interfere with the effect of insulin, meaning that you need more insulin.

It can also occur if you don't have enough insulin because you aren't following your recommended treatment plan correctly, or you haven’t adjusted your dose of insulin to take account of rising blood sugars when you have an infection.

A simple finger prick blood test can be used to detect an increase in blood sugar before it becomes a serious problem.

Kits can also check the level of ketones in urine. You should monitor your blood sugar and ketone levels closely if you have type 1 diabetes, particularly when you're ill. This means you can spot any increases early on.

Adjusting your insulin dose as advised by your diabetes care team will often correct your blood sugar and ketone levels, preventing diabetic ketoacidosis.

Seek medical advice if your levels remain high after taking insulin or you develop the symptoms mentioned above.


The information on this page has been adapted from original content from the NHS website.

For further information see terms and conditions.

Health conditions A to Z

Search by health condition or symptoms

Or find conditions beginning with …

Share this page

What do you want to do?
What is your question about?
Do you want a reply?
Your email address
To reply to you, we need your email address
Your feedback

We will not reply to your feedback.  Don't include any personal or financial information, for example National Insurance, credit card numbers, or phone numbers.

This feedback form is for issues with the nidirect website only.

You can use it to report a problem or suggest an improvement to a webpage.

If you have a question about a government service or policy, you should contact the relevant government organisation directly as we don’t have access to information about you held by government departments.

You must be aged 13 years or older - if you’re younger, ask someone with parental responsibility to send the feedback for you.

The nidirect privacy notice applies to any information you send on this feedback form.

Don't include any personal or financial information, for example National Insurance, credit card numbers, or phone numbers.

Plain text only, 750 characters maximum.
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum.

What to do next

Comments or queries about angling can be emailed to anglingcorrespondence@daera-ni.gov.uk 

What to do next

If you have a comment or query about benefits, you will need to contact the government department or agency which handles that benefit.  Contacts for common benefits are listed below.

Carer's Allowance

Call 0800 587 0912

Discretionary support / Short-term benefit advance

Call 0800 587 2750 

Disability Living Allowance

Call 0800 587 0912 
Email dcs.incomingpostteamdhc2@nissa.gsi.gov.uk

Employment and Support Allowance

Call 0800 587 1377

Jobseeker’s Allowance

Contact your local Jobs & Benefits office

Personal Independence Payment

Call 0800 587 0932

If your query is about another benefit, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.

What to do next

Comments or queries about the Blue Badge scheme can be emailed to bluebadges@infrastructure-ni.gov.uk or you can also call 0300 200 7818.

What to do next

For queries or advice about careers, contact the Careers Service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about Child Maintenance, contact the Child Maintenance Service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about claiming compensation due to a road problem, contact DFI Roads claim unit.

What to do next

For queries or advice about criminal record checks, email ani@accessni.gov.uk

What to do next

Application and payment queries can be emailed to ema_ni@slc.co.uk

What to do next

For queries or advice about employment rights, contact the Labour Relations Agency.

What to do next

For queries or advice about birth, death, marriage and civil partnership certificates and research, contact the General Register Office Northern Ireland (GRONI) by email gro_nisra@finance-ni.gov.uk

What to do next

For queries about:

If your query is about another topic, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.

What to do next

For queries or advice about passports, contact HM Passport Office.

What to do next

For queries or advice about Penalty Charge Notices (PCNs), including parking tickets and bus lane PCNs, email dcu@infrastructure-ni.gov.uk

What to do next

For queries or advice about pensions, contact the Northern Ireland Pension Centre.

What to do next

If you wish to report a problem with a road or street you can do so online in this section.

If you wish to check on a problem or fault you have already reported, contact DfI Roads.

What to do next

For queries or advice about historical, social or cultural records relating to Northern Ireland, use the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI) enquiry service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about rates, email:

For queries or advice about property valuation, email:

For queries or advice about land registry, email:

For mapping queries, email:

What to do next

For queries or advice about  60+ and Senior Citizen SmartPasses (which can be used to get concessionary travel on public transport), contact Smartpass - Translink.