What type of work would suit you

Choosing a career path after finishing education means thinking about a lot more than the job itself. Jobs are more flexible than ever and a typical working day is a thing of the past

How the world of work is changing

Planning a career can be tough in an ever-changing job market. It's not just the job itself you've got to consider; it's the working hours, work environment, pay and training opportunities as well.

For example, not all workers are simply employed by a company. There are lots more people working on short and fixed term contracts instead of full-time, permanent ones.

Some people choose to get temporary jobs through an employment agency. This means that they work for different companies for a set amount of time. Other people work on a freelance basis, meaning that they work for themselves, but take on short-term contracts for companies. Freelancers often have a great deal of experience in a specialised area.

The workforce is now more skilled and qualified than ever. With employers having a larger group of candidates to choose from, it can be hard to get into work if you can't show that you have some qualifications or skills.

There are lots of ways to improve your range of skills, so speak to a careers adviser to find out how.

Different jobs, different types of working

Starting at 9.00 am, finishing at 5.00 pm with an hour for lunch somewhere in the middle may still be considered a working day, but for more and more people it's not a reality.

Some jobs, like nursing or manufacturing depend on using shift patterns, meaning working during the night and early morning.

Some jobs will be outside, some will be in an office, some will be in a workshop or industrial environment and some will be more physically demanding than others.

When you're applying for a job or planning a career, it may be worth thinking about what sort of environment you work best in and whether you have other commitments or responsibilities that could prevent you from having different working hours. This will make sure that your working schedule fits in with the rest of your life.

Flexible working

Working patterns are now more flexible so that workers can balance career and personal commitments. Many companies or organisations see the benefit in allowing their staff a certain amount of flexibility in their working hours.

Some people have a right to ask for flexible working, but a lot of employers now let employees organise their work around their home life.

Types of flexibility include:

  • letting people work from home on certain days
  • allowing people to start and finish at different times of the day
  • letting more than one person share a job (job sharing)

You may want to find out what sort of working opportunities a company offers before applying for a job with them, especially if you have responsibility for a child or you are studying for qualifications outside working hours.

Working for yourself

Instead of becoming an employee of a company or organisation, some people prefer to work for themselves or start a business of their own. Although most people who work for themselves have usually built up a number of years experience in a particular career area, more young people are becoming self-employed immediately after they finish studying.

Starting your own business can be tough. You need to have a business plan and depending on the sort of business you are trying to set up, enough money to pay for premises, electricity, power and even smaller things like stationery and supplies. It can all add up.

There are a number of organisations that can help you if you want to become self-employed or start your own business.

Working and learning

If you're working, it doesn't mean that you stop learning. There will be lots of opportunities for you to learn new things, so make the most of any chances you get. Remember that even skills that do not seem relevant now may come in useful later on.

Some employers may pay for the costs of training courses that you may want to take if they feel it would benefit you in your current role. When you apply for a job, ask what training or opportunities are available. You will need to find out whether it is run by the company you work for, or an external training provider like a college.

If you're in a job that doesn't offer any training opportunities, you may be entitled to time off if you want to study for certain qualifications.

Share this page

What do you want to do?
What is your question about?
Do you want a reply?
Your email address
To reply to you, we need your email address
Your feedback

We will not reply to your feedback.  Don't include any personal or financial information, for example National Insurance, credit card numbers, or phone numbers.

This feedback form is for issues with the nidirect website only.

You can use it to report a problem or suggest an improvement to a webpage.

If you have a question about a government service or policy, you should contact the relevant government organisation directly as we don’t have access to information about you held by government departments.

You must be aged 13 years or older - if you’re younger, ask someone with parental responsibility to send the feedback for you.

The nidirect privacy notice applies to any information you send on this feedback form.

Don't include any personal or financial information, for example National Insurance, credit card numbers, or phone numbers.

Plain text only, 750 characters maximum.
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum.

What to do next

Comments or queries about angling can be emailed to anglingcorrespondence@daera-ni.gov.uk 

What to do next

If you have a comment or query about benefits, you will need to contact the government department or agency which handles that benefit.  Contacts for common benefits are listed below.

Carer's Allowance

Call 0800 587 0912

Discretionary support / Short-term benefit advance

Call 0800 587 2750 

Disability Living Allowance

Call 0800 587 0912 
Email dcs.incomingpostteamdhc2@nissa.gsi.gov.uk

Employment and Support Allowance

Call 0800 587 1377

Jobseeker’s Allowance

Contact your local Jobs & Benefits office

Personal Independence Payment

Call 0800 587 0932

If your query is about another benefit, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.

What to do next

Comments or queries about the Blue Badge scheme can be emailed to bluebadges@infrastructure-ni.gov.uk or you can also call 0300 200 7818.

What to do next

For queries or advice about careers, contact the Careers Service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about Child Maintenance, contact the Child Maintenance Service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about claiming compensation due to a road problem, contact DFI Roads claim unit.

What to do next

For queries or advice about criminal record checks, email ani@accessni.gov.uk

What to do next

Application and payment queries can be emailed to ema_ni@slc.co.uk

What to do next

For queries or advice about employment rights, contact the Labour Relations Agency.

What to do next

For queries or advice about birth, death, marriage and civil partnership certificates and research, contact the General Register Office Northern Ireland (GRONI) by email gro_nisra@finance-ni.gov.uk

What to do next

For queries about:

If your query is about another topic, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.

What to do next

For queries or advice about passports, contact HM Passport Office.

What to do next

For queries or advice about Penalty Charge Notices (PCNs), including parking tickets and bus lane PCNs, email dcu@infrastructure-ni.gov.uk

What to do next

For queries or advice about pensions, contact the Northern Ireland Pension Centre.

What to do next

If you wish to report a problem with a road or street you can do so online in this section.

If you wish to check on a problem or fault you have already reported, contact DfI Roads.

What to do next

For queries or advice about historical, social or cultural records relating to Northern Ireland, use the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI) enquiry service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about rates, email:

For queries or advice about property valuation, email:

For queries or advice about land registry, email:

For mapping queries, email:

What to do next

For queries or advice about  60+ and Senior Citizen SmartPasses (which can be used to get concessionary travel on public transport), contact Smartpass - Translink.