Using public transport
Whether travelling to work, going shopping, popping into town to meet with friends or getting home safely after a good night out, using public transport can be less stressful and more relaxing than driving. It also helps the environment.
Benefits of public transport
There are many benefits to using public transport. Here are some good reasons why you should ditch the car for public transport:
- you can enjoy a less stressful journey by letting someone else do the driving
- you don’t have to worry about finding a parking space
- it reduces congestion in towns and cities
- using public transport is cheaper than owning and operating a car
- no more sitting in traffic jams in rush hour thanks to bus lanes and other bus priority measures
- it reduces your carbon footprint
It’s important to remember to stay safe while using public transport. The following pages will provide you with useful information to make sure your journey is safe.
Public transport to school - information for parents
Rather than travel by car, it may be possible for your child to get to school by bus or train. The school will be able to give you more information about this.
If there’s no dedicated school bus serving their route, it is a good idea to do the trip a few times with them to get used to it.
It is important to make your child aware of a few simple safety tips if they are travelling by public transport.
Bus safety for children
When using the bus, follow these rules:
- signal - let the driver know you want on the bus
- stand back from the kerb when the bus approaches
- wait for the bus to stop
- let passengers off first
- never distract the driver
- don't push or shove
- store your bags safely
- stand behind the driver when getting off the bus
- never walk in front or behind a bus as the driver has restricted view and might not see you
- give your seat up for the elderly
Train safety for children
Children should always:
- stand well back from the platform edge while they're waiting for a train
- avoid empty train compartments if possible
- stay seated while the vehicle is moving
Park and Ride or Park and Share
Using Park and Share or Park and Ride are simple but effective ways to reduce traffic congestion. There are over many such sites located right across Northern Ireland.