Taking your parental leave

If you qualify for parental leave, you need to decide how long you want to take and apply to take this leave. Your employer could postpone your request but only on very specific grounds.

Parental leave arrangements

Employers and employees should make their own agreements about how parental leave will work in a workplace. There are rules about qualifying for and taking parental leave. Your workplace agreement cannot be less favourable than the rules allow.

Giving your employer notice

You must give your employer 21 days’ notice of when you want to begin your parental leave. Your employer can ask for written notice.  If you qualify for parental leave and give your employer notice, you should be able to take parental leave at any time.

To take parental leave after the child's birth or adoption, you should give notice 21 days before the beginning of the expected week of childbirth or placement. 

If your child is born prematurely or you get less than 21 days' notice that your child is to be placed with you for adoption, you should give your employer notice as soon as possible .

If you have given the required notice, your parental leave can start on the day your child is born or placed, even if that is earlier or later than the date you gave your employer.

Your employer can accept less than 21 days' notice.

One week blocks

You must take your leave in blocks of full weeks. A week is based on your usual working pattern. If you only work Mondays and Tuesdays, a week would be two days or if you work Monday to Friday, a week would be five days.

If your child has a disability, you can take time off in blocks of less than a week, so you could use parental leave for regular hospital visits.

If your child is not disabled, your employer may still let you take parental leave in shorter blocks if they wish. If not and you want time off in odd days, for example to take your child to the dentist, you should ask your employer if you can work flexibly or use your holiday allowance.

Four weeks per year

Each parent can't take more than four weeks' leave for any one child in a year.

A year starts when you become eligible for parental leave. This is either when you have worked for your employer continuously for one year or when your child is born, if this date is later.

Your employer can let you take a longer period of parental leave each year if they wish.

Pay during parental leave

Legal parental leave is unpaid, but check your employment contract - your employer might offer you pay. If you are on a low income, you might get Income Support.

If you are paid bonuses as part of your contract and a bonus is due to be paid during your parental leave, you should check your terms and conditions of the bonus scheme. You might need legal advice about your entitlement to the bonus. If the bonus:

  • relates to performance or work already done before your parental leave, you would generally be entitled
  • is a reward of future work or performance when you will be absent on parental leave, you would be unlikely to be entitled

If your employer postpones your leave

Unless you want to take parental leave after the birth or adoption, your employer can postpone your leave for up to six months if they feel it would disrupt the business. Reasonable grounds for your employer to postpone your leave include:

  • the period that you apply for is at a seasonal peak
  • many workers applied for parental leave at the same time
  • your absence at a particular time would unduly harm the business

Your employer should discuss this with you and confirm the postponement arrangements in writing no later than seven days after you apply for the leave. Your employer should give the reason for the postponement and set out the new dates of your parental leave, as agreed with you. The length of leave you are given should be equal to the amount you applied for.

If the postponement goes past the end of your entitlement period (for example, after your child's 18th birthday), you can still take the leave.

Carrying over leave

If you get a new job with the same employer, you may be able to carry over untaken parental leave.

Time off for emergencies

All employees have a right to a reasonable amount of unpaid time off to deal with certain emergencies involving their family. For example, a child falling ill, a breakdown in childcare arrangements or a problem at a child’s school.

You don't have to give notice for this emergency leave. But you will need to tell your employer as soon as you can what the problem is and when you expect to be back at work.

More useful links

Share this page

What do you want to do?
What is your question about?
Do you want a reply?
Your email address
To reply to you, we need your email address
Your feedback

We will not reply to your feedback.  Don't include any personal or financial information, for example National Insurance, credit card numbers, or phone numbers.

This feedback form is for issues with the nidirect website only.

You can use it to report a problem or suggest an improvement to a webpage.

If you have a question about a government service or policy, you should contact the relevant government organisation directly as we don’t have access to information about you held by government departments.

You must be aged 13 years or older - if you’re younger, ask someone with parental responsibility to send the feedback for you.

The nidirect privacy notice applies to any information you send on this feedback form.

Don't include any personal or financial information, for example National Insurance, credit card numbers, or phone numbers.

Plain text only, 750 characters maximum.
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum.

What to do next

Comments or queries about angling can be emailed to anglingcorrespondence@daera-ni.gov.uk 

What to do next

If you have a comment or query about benefits, you will need to contact the government department or agency which handles that benefit.  Contacts for common benefits are listed below.

Carer's Allowance

Call 0800 587 0912

Discretionary support / Short-term benefit advance

Call 0800 587 2750 

Disability Living Allowance

Call 0800 587 0912 
Email dcs.incomingpostteamdhc2@nissa.gsi.gov.uk

Employment and Support Allowance

Call 0800 587 1377

Jobseeker’s Allowance

Contact your local Jobs & Benefits office

Personal Independence Payment

Call 0800 587 0932

If your query is about another benefit, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.

What to do next

Comments or queries about the Blue Badge scheme can be emailed to bluebadges@infrastructure-ni.gov.uk or you can also call 0300 200 7818.

What to do next

For queries or advice about careers, contact the Careers Service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about Child Maintenance, contact the Child Maintenance Service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about claiming compensation due to a road problem, contact DFI Roads claim unit.

What to do next

For queries or advice about criminal record checks, email ani@accessni.gov.uk

What to do next

Application and payment queries can be emailed to ema_ni@slc.co.uk

What to do next

For queries or advice about employment rights, contact the Labour Relations Agency.

What to do next

For queries or advice about birth, death, marriage and civil partnership certificates and research, contact the General Register Office Northern Ireland (GRONI) by email gro_nisra@finance-ni.gov.uk

What to do next

For queries about:

If your query is about another topic, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.

What to do next

For queries or advice about passports, contact HM Passport Office.

What to do next

For queries or advice about Penalty Charge Notices (PCNs), including parking tickets and bus lane PCNs, email dcu@infrastructure-ni.gov.uk

What to do next

For queries or advice about pensions, contact the Northern Ireland Pension Centre.

What to do next

If you wish to report a problem with a road or street you can do so online in this section.

If you wish to check on a problem or fault you have already reported, contact DfI Roads.

What to do next

For queries or advice about historical, social or cultural records relating to Northern Ireland, use the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI) enquiry service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about rates, email LPSCustomerTeam@lpsni.gov.uk

What to do next

For queries or advice about  60+ and Senior Citizen SmartPasses (which can be used to get concessionary travel on public transport), contact Smartpass - Translink.