Advice to follow if a volunteer is helping you
There is advice you should follow when a volunteer is helping you - especially if the volunteer is unknown to you. If a volunteer is helping you while you stay at home:
- do not give them your credit or debit card numbers or other financial information
- ask for ID if someone you do not know calls at your home
- only share your phone number or address if you need to
- only give your information on a need-to-know basis
- do not let them pressure you into giving information
Remember that volunteers should not enter your home, unless it is absolutely necessary.
If you have serious concerns about the behaviour of someone who is helping you, report this to the police.
During the COVID-19 pandemic
As well as the recommendations above read the following guidance on staying alert and safe (social distancing). Your safety is important and must come first.
Volunteer Now has factsheets on its website, including 'Offers of help and keeping yourself safe',