Protect your home against flooding

You can make permanent changes to your home to reduce future flood damage. Making these alterations can reduce the time and cost of doing home repairs after flooding.

Making changes to your home

Before doing any work, ask your insurer about work that can be paid for under your home insurance policy.

Your insurer will usually pay for 'like-for-like' amendments to restore your home to a similar state before the flood. You are likely to have to pay for any work beyond like-for-like amendments yourself. 

Alterations to consider are:

  • laying ceramic tiles on the ground floor
  • using rugs instead of fitted carpets
  • raising the height of electrical sockets to at least 1.5m above ground floor level
  • using lime plaster instead of gypsum plaster on walls
  • fitting stainless steel, plastic or solid wood kitchens instead of chipboard ones
  • installing free-standing kitchen units that you can move
  • putting main parts of a heating or ventilation system, like a boiler, upstairs or raised well above the ground floor
  • fitting non-return valves to all drains and water inlet pipes, which only let water flow one way
  • replacing wooden window frames and doors with man-made ones like UPVC - they are easier to clean
  • installing flood resistant air bricks in place of existing vents
  • Reduce or prevent flood damage

Homeowner Flood Protection Grant Scheme

The grant scheme is for homeowners with properties that were flooded before or are in areas prone to flooding.  A homeowner must use the grant to make their property more resistant to flooding. 

Get professional advice before making changes

Before you make any changes to your home,  get professional advice.

More useful links

Share this page


Your comments are anonymous and can’t be responded to - if you would like a reply, use the feedback form.

Your comments
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum. Don't include personal or financial information.