Preparing the vehicle
Anyone can prepare the vehicle for the test, however, some specialist equipment may be needed to check certain elements required for the test, for example, headlight alignment.
The Vehicle Inspection Manuals can be viewed online at:
- Light vehicle inspection manual - DfI website
- Heavy vehicle inspection manual - DfI website
- Motor bicycle inspection manual - DfI website
Documents to bring to the test
- vehicle registration document V5C(NI)
- appointment letter
- any current Certificate or Notice of Refusal for all cars, motorcycles, light goods vehicles and heavy goods vehicles
If you are bringing a taxi or bus, you must present all of the above documents as well as a current Certificate of Insurance.
Is my vehicle covered by insurance?
You can drive an untaxed vehicle to and from the test centre for a prearranged MOT test provided you have adequate insurance cover in place for the use of that vehicle.