Moving back to Northern Ireland from abroad

From enrolling your children into schools to sorting out your tax situation, here are some of the things you should think about when preparing to move back to Northern Ireland from abroad.

Tax, benefits, pensions and National Insurance

Find out how to tell HM Revenue and Customs about a change of income or circumstance.


  • register with a GP and a dentist in Northern Ireland
  • contact any private medical insurance and travel insurance companies with which you have policies
  • tell your GP, dentist and other health practitioners in the country you are leaving, and see if your records can be sent to your new health professionals in Northern Ireland

Your home

  • arrange to sell your property or end its lease and sort out removals
  • contact Land & Property Services and the Electoral Commission as they will need to know when you will be returning to Northern Ireland and your Northern Ireland address
  • tell your utility companies abroad that you are moving and give them a forwarding address, so they can send you final bills and information on any payments you owe or refunds - you will also need to set up accounts for utility services once you have found a property in Northern Ireland
  • tell your bank, building society or any financial institution with whom you have a policy or agreement that you are moving
  • have your mail forwarded

Your children


Looking for a job

Share this page


Your comments are anonymous and can’t be responded to - if you would like a reply, use the feedback form.

Your comments
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum. Don't include personal or financial information.