Making a complaint about river and sea services

Northern Ireland's waterways are managed by Waterways Ireland and the Maritime and Coastguard Agency. You can find out below who to complain to if you have experienced an issue on a waterway or with a service.

Complaining about boat services

Each company will have its own complaints procedure, but as a general rule if your complaint cannot be dealt with immediately you should write to the company concerned as soon as possible.

The address should be included in their brochure.

If you are unhappy with their response and think you have been treated unfairly the Consumer Council may be able to take up the complaint on your behalf.

Waterways Ireland

Waterways Ireland is the guardian of Northern Ireland's inland navigations. You can get further details at this link:

The Maritime and Coastguards Agency

If you have a complaint about maritime safety or the marine environment in UK waters, you should contact the Maritime and Coastguards Agency.

If you are not satisfied with the service from the Maritime and Coastguards Agency, get in touch with the person or section that you have been dealing with.

If this still does not produce a satisfactory answer, you can write to the Maritime and Coastguards Agency's chief executive.

You can find out full details of the complaints procedure at the link below:

More useful links

Share this page


Would you like to leave feedback about this page? Send us your feedback