Initial Teacher Training

There’s financial help available if you’re studying to become a teacher. The type of help you can get will depend on the teacher training route you choose.

Help available to both undergraduate and postgraduate students

Students doing a postgraduate course of Initial Teacher Training (such as a PGCE) may be able to get a training bursary on top of Student Loans and grants.

Postgraduate routes to qualifying as a teacher include:

  • studying full-time or part-time for a Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) or Professional Certificate of Education
  • taking a School-Centred Initial Teacher Training (SCITT) course (these often lead to a PGCE qualification)

If you’re doing a full-time undergraduate course of Initial Teacher Training (ITT), you can apply for Student Loans, grants and bursaries on the same terms as other full-time students doing a first higher education course.

Part-time and postgraduate students can’t usually apply for the full finance package aimed at full-time students. But you’ll qualify for elements of it for a course of ITT, whether you’re doing it full-time or part time, or as an undergraduate or postgraduate.

More useful links

Share this page


Would you like to leave feedback about this page? Send us your feedback