Extra financial help for students

On top of Student Loans, grants and bursaries, you may be able to claim extra financial help in some circumstances. Extra help may be available if you have children or adult dependants, a disability, if you're in financial hardship or if you're taking certain types of course.

Students with children

If you're a full-time higher education student with dependent children, the Childcare Grant maybe able to help with childcare costs, and the Parents' Learning Allowance with costs related to your course.

Students with a disability

If you have an impairment, medical condition or a learning difficulty, you may be entitled to claim extra financial help as a student - including Disabled Students' Allowances.

Students in financial difficulty

If you're in hardship and need extra financial support, universities and colleges in Northern Ireland can provide it through their Support Funds. You can apply if you're a full-time or part-time higher education student, or you're doing a postgraduate course.

Benefits for students with low incomes

Most full-time students are not entitled to claim social security benefits. However, if you are a part-time student you may be eligible for income-related benefits such as Housing Benefit or Income Support. Contact your local Jobs and Bemefits Office for information.

More useful links

Share this page


Your comments are anonymous and can’t be responded to - if you would like a reply, use the feedback form.

Your comments
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum. Don't include personal or financial information.