If you’ve received a custody warrant

If you’ve received a custody warrant, someone you owe money to has obtained a court order to recover the money and has asked the Enforcement of Judgments Office (EJO) to recover it on their behalf.

What you can do

There are a number of options available to you. You can:

  • pay by credit transfer, BACs or standing order through your bank to:
EJO bank
Danske Bank
Donegal Square West Branch
EJO bank account details
Account name: Northern Ireland Courts and Tribunals 3rd party monies
ort code: 95 01 21
Account number: 31337181
  • call the EJO payments line on 028 9041 2212 to pay by debit or credit card
  • pay by personal cheque or postal order made payable to 'Northern Ireland Courts and Tribunals Service' or 'NICTS'
  • pay by cash in person at the EJO office - it is recommended that cash is not sent through the post

You should send payment to the EJO quoting the reference number noted on the custody warrant (this can be found on the right hand side of the custody warrant or letters you have received from them). The EJO does not give out payments books but it will issue a receipt for every payment made.  

If you disagree

If you disagree with the amount of money on the custody warrant, you should contact the person you owe the money to or their solicitor and ask them to update the EJO with any new balance.

However, you should remember that the increased amount could relate to court costs, interest and the EJO’s fees that have been added on.

What happens next

The EJO will set up an interview with you to discuss repayment of the unpaid debt and complete a report on your finances, assets and income. An enforcement officer may conduct this interview at your home or you may be summonsed to go to the EJO’s office or your local courthouse.

It is very important that you go to this interview when requested.

Removing furniture or goods from your property

The EJO has the power to seize goods but some goods are exempt from seizure and these are included on the custody warrant.  Seizure will not happen if a reasonable offer is made (and agreed by EJO) to pay the unpaid debt and any arrangement is adhered to.

Public Register of Debtors

If you have received a custody warrant, your details are now recorded on the Public Register of Debtors and may be viewed by any person who does a search through the EJO.  

Details of the enforced judgment will appear on the Register for six years from the date of entry. This may also affect your credit rating.

More useful links

Share this page


Your comments are anonymous and can’t be responded to - if you would like a reply, use the feedback form.

Your comments
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum. Don't include personal or financial information.