How to protect your home against flooding

You can make permanent changes to your home to reduce future flood damage. Making these alterations can reduce the time and cost of recovering from flooding.

Making changes to your home

Before undertaking any work, ask your insurer about work that can be paid for under your home insurance policy.

Your insurer will usually pay for 'like-for-like' amendments - restoring your home to a similar state before the flood.

You are likely to have to pay for any work beyond like-for-like amendments yourself. 

Alterations to consider are:

  • laying ceramic tiles on the ground floor
  • using rugs instead of fitted carpets
  • raising the height of electrical sockets to at least 1.5m above ground floor level
  • using lime plaster instead of gypsum plaster on walls
  • fitting stainless steel, plastic or solid wood kitchens instead of chipboard ones
  • installing free-standing kitchen units that you can move
  • putting main parts of a heating or ventilation system, like a boiler, upstairs or raised well above the ground floor
  • fitting non-return valves to all drains and water inlet pipes, which only let water flow one way
  • replacing wooden window frames and doors with man-made ones like UPVC - they are easier to clean
  • installing flood resistant air bricks in place of existing vents
  • Reduce or prevent flood damage

Useful contact numbers

  • Flooding Incident Line:  0300 2000 100
  • Northern Ireland Electricity:  03457 643 643
  • Northern Ireland Water: 0845 7440 088
  • Phoenix Natural Gas:  0845 9005 253
  • Firmus Energy:  0845 6080 088

Get professional advice before making changes

Before you make any changes to your home,  get professional advice.

More useful links

Share this page


Would you like to leave feedback about this page? Send us your feedback