How much income will you have in retirement

As you plan for your retirement you'll need to look at different sources to estimate how much income you'll have. These include the State Pension, personal or workplace pension schemes, state benefits you may qualify for on retirement and your savings or investments.

Sources of income

When deciding when to retire the most important thing to consider is making sure you have enough money to live comfortably. To help you plan your income in the future you should check your:

  • State Pension
  • personal or workplace pensions
  • savings and investments

State Pension

The amount of State Pension you'll receive will depend on the amount of National Insurance contributions you've paid or are treated as having paid.  You can only receive State Pension when you reach State Pension age. Use the calculator below to check when you will reach State Pension age:

You can request a State Pension forecast using the online check your State Pension service which will provide an estimate of how much State Pension you’ll receive when you reach State Pension age.

For further information on State Pension, visit:

National Insurance credits

You may not be able to pay National Insurance, for example if you are ill or caring for someone. The government may give you credits so you can continue building up State Pension entitlement. Find out who can get National Insurance credits, and whether you need to take action.

Paying voluntary National Insurance contributions

You might not have enough qualifying years for a full State Pension. It's worth seeing if you can fill the gaps by paying voluntary National Insurance contributions. This could boost your State Pension.

You usually have to make up the shortfall within six years from the end of the tax year for which they are being paid. You may be able to do this even if you've already reached State Pension age. Some people can also pay for up to six additional years outside the usual time limits.

Workplace and personal pensions

A workplace pension is arranged through your employer and is a way of saving for your retirement. An employer enrols eligible employees in a workplace pension. You can choose to opt out of this pension. If you stay in you’ll have a pension for your retirement.

Personal pensions are available from banks, building societies and life insurance companies that invest your savings on your behalf.

Find out more about workplace and personal pensions at the following nidirect page.

Tax and your personal or workplace pension

The government encourages you to save towards your pension by giving 'tax relief' on money you put into personal and workplace pensions schemes up to certain limits. In practice this means that money you would have paid in tax is used towards your pension instead. Find out more at the following nidirect page:

Savings and investments

Long-term savings and investments you have can provide extra income in retirement, but when taking these into account you should be aware:

  • savings interest rates can fall as well as rise
  • the return on investments is not guaranteed
  • your investments will need to match your particular needs
  • some investment and savings products are more tax efficient than others

There are several tax-efficient ways of saving and investing money for retirement.

Individual Savings Account (ISA)

With an ISA there is no tax relief on the contributions you make. You don't pay tax on the interest or most dividend income earned, or on 'capital gains' if you later sell the investment at a profit.

National Savings and Investments (NS&I)

NS&I offer one of the most secure ways to save and invest money because it's backed by the government. Some schemes pay interest that's taxable, while others are tax-free.

Many NS&I schemes are long-term investments, that may be suitable for saving towards your retirement.

Investing your money

If you save your money in a bank or building society account, your funds should grow – at least enough to stay ahead of inflation.

If you want your funds to grow more quickly, you could consider investing them. Most investments carry a risk – your funds can rise or fall in value. Investments include, for example, stocks and shares, bonds and collective investments and property.

It's best to get professional advice before deciding where to invest your money.

If you are not sure what type of savings account suits your needs, the Pensions Advisory Service can offer help and advice. Find out what advice they can give you on your savings and investments.

Benefit entitlement

You may be able to get certain benefits and financial support as well as your State Pension. Some benefits are age-related, others depend on your income. Find out more at the following nidirect pages.

Find out how much you will receive

You can check to see how much pension you'll receive on retirement from the State Pension, a workplace pension or a personal pension. You can also trace any pensions for which you may have lost the details.  For more information visit the following nidirect pages.

Increase your income when you reach State Pension age

There are several ways to increase your income after you reach State Pension age. 

Putting off your State Pension claim

You don't have to claim your State Pension as soon as you reach State Pension age, even if you continue working. If you put off claiming you can receive a higher weekly amount or a lump-sum payment plus your State Pension.

Put off claiming your work place pension

If you have a workplace pension, your employer may allow you to put off claiming it until after your company's normal retirement age. It depends on the scheme. You can check with your employer or the scheme to find out.

You can start taking an income from a personal pension at any age between 55 and 75.

Earn more doing the same hours of work

After State Pension age you don't pay National Insurance. So you take home more of your pay. Or you may be able to reduce your hours and still earn a similar amount.

If you were born before 6 April 1948, you are entitled to a more generous tax allowance.

Work longer

There is no fixed retirement age in Northern Ireland. You may be able to boost your retirement income by working a bit longer, or by deferring your State Pension claim – or both. 

Find a lost pension

If you have lost track of a personal or workplace pension scheme, use the online service to help you trace your pension scheme’s contact details:

Share this page


Your comments are anonymous and can’t be responded to - if you would like a reply, use the feedback form.

Your comments
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum. Don't include personal or financial information.