The Scottish and Northern Ireland Plumbing Employers’ Federation (SNIPEF) is represents plumbing and heating companies in Northern Ireland.
SNIPEF members are:
- employ qualified people
- maintain insurance
SNIPEF members operate under a warranty scheme. NI Water only recommends using SNIPEF members.
Plumbing and Heating Engineering (CIPHE), which is the professional body for the plumbing industry, recommends that when finding a plumber you should:
- ask friends/relatives/neighbours who they use
- use a member of the Institute of Plumbing and Heating Engineering - members have to hold recognised qualifications in plumbing or extensive experience
- get at least three quotes and when asking for quotes find out if there is a call out fee, how many people will be doing the job and if the price per hour includes all the workmen/women or if more is charged per plumber and ask for a written quote - unless there are any unforeseen costs, the final bill should not deviate too far from this initial written quote
- clearly explain all of the work you need doing (write it all down) and, if possible, ask how long the job will take
- when you have found a plumber and the job is finished, ask for a full breakdown of the bill so you know where your money has gone
- ensures that traders who sign up are qualified to do plumbing work
- has provides a complaints procedure
- Find an approved trader - Trustmark scheme website