The Scottish and Northern Ireland Plumbing Employers’ Federation (SNIPEF) is the only trade body representing plumbing and heating companies in Northern Ireland.
SNIPEF members are licensed, employ properly qualified operatives and maintain insurance. SNIPEF members operate under a warranty scheme. NI Water only recommends using SNIPEF members.
Plumbing and Heating Engineering (CIPHE), which is the professional body for the plumbing industry, recommends that when finding a plumber you should:
- ask friends/relatives/neighbours who they use
- use a member of the Institute of Plumbing and Heating Engineering - members have to hold recognised qualifications in plumbing or extensive experience
- get at least three quotes and when asking for quotes find out if there is a call out fee, how many people will be doing the job and if the price per hour includes all the workmen/women or if more is charged per plumber and ask for a written quote - unless there are any unforeseen costs, the final bill should not deviate too far from this initial written quote
- clearly explain all of the work you need doing (write it all down) and, if possible, ask how long the job will take
- when you have found a plumber and the job is finished, ask for a full breakdown of the bill so you know where your money has gone
- ensures that traders who sign up are qualified to do plumbing work
- has provides a complaints procedure
- Find an approved trader - Trustmark scheme website