Domestic oil installation and boiler servicing

If you're installing an oil-fired boiler or need a boiler checked or repaired, you should always use an OFTEC-registered technician. OFTEC maintains a register of trained and assessed technicians who are qualified to work safely with oil-fired appliances in Northern Ireland.

Installing and maintaining oil-fired heating

There are building control regulations about:

  • boilers and stoves
  • siting an oil tank 

All heating appliances should be installed correctly and need annual servicing to stay in safe, working order. 

A registered technician will install a boiler and oil tank according to building control standards. They'll give you a commissioning certificate which meet building control's regulations.

Avoiding risk of carbon monoxide poisoning

Poorly installed, badly maintained appliances could put you and your family at risk from carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.

Make sure your technician uses a flue gas analyser to correctly set up your boiler to maximise the efficiency of the appliance and to check for any CO leakage.

Boilers and tanks should be serviced annually as recommended by the Northern Ireland Health & Safety Executive.

How to find an OFTEC registered technician

All registered technicians are listed on the OFTEC website

Checking an engineer is on the OFTEC register

All registered technicians carry an ID card displaying:

  • their photograph
  • work they are qualified to do

Before they do any work to your boiler, stove or oil tank, always ask to see the technician's ID card.

To check the technician is registered, contact OFTEC:

More useful links

Share this page


Your comments are anonymous and can’t be responded to - if you would like a reply, use the feedback form.

Your comments
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum. Don't include personal or financial information.