Find out your rights

Whether you live, work or are just visiting Northern Ireland you have fundamental human rights which the government and public authorities are legally obliged to respect. There are also other rights you are entitled to depending on the situation, for example at work.

Human rights

As part of the United Kingdom, the fundamental rights of people in Northern Ireland are protected under the Human Rights Act 1998. These rights not only affect matters of life and death, like freedom from torture and killing, but also affect your rights in everyday life.

Your human rights are:

  • the right to life
  • freedom from torture and degrading treatment
  • freedom from slavery and forced labour
  • the right to liberty
  • the right to a fair trial
  • the right not to be punished for something that wasn't a crime when you did it
  • the right to respect for private and family life
  • freedom of thought, conscience and religion, and freedom to express your beliefs
  • freedom of expression
  • freedom of assembly and association
  • the right to marry and to start a family
  • the right not to be discriminated against for these rights and freedoms
  • the right to peaceful enjoyment of your property
  • the right to an education
  • the right to take part in free elections
  • the right not to be subjected to the death penalty

You have a responsibility to respect the rights of other people. This means not exercising your rights in a way which is likely to stop someone else from being able to exercise theirs. 

Governments have the power to limit or control these rights in times of severe need or emergency.

If any of these rights and freedoms are abused you have a right to seek a solution through the law, even if the abuse was by someone in authority, like a government official or a police officer.

It's always a good idea to see if the problem can be resolved without going to court by using mediation or an internal complaints body. But where you believe you cannot resolve the problem outside court, you have the right to bring a case before the right court or tribunal.

Before you take any action, speak to someone who can give you independent advice, like the Human Rights Commission or Advice NI. You should also speak to a solicitor if you need legal advice.

Marriage, civil partnerships and living together

There is a lot of information and advice available on the practical and legal issues surrounding getting married, living together and civil partnerships.

Find out more about getting married or registering a civil partnership.

Living together

Most people think that after they've been living with their partner for a couple of years, they become 'common law husband and wife' with the same rights as married couples. This is not the case. There is no such thing as 'common law marriage'.

In fact, couples who live together, also called co-habitants, have hardly any of the same rights as married couples or civil partners.

Legal and financial problems can arise if you decide to separate, or if one of you dies. While you do have legal protection in some areas, you should take steps to protect yourself and your partner.

Speak to a solicitor and get some legal advice. You should also make sure that both you and your partner make a will.

Divorce and separation

Getting a divorce or having your civil partnership dissolved can affect your rights.

Find out more about getting a divorce or dissolving a civil partnership.

Parental rights

Parents do not automatically have rights over their children. These rights depend on 'parental responsibility’. If as parents of a child you are married to each other, or you have jointly adopted the child, then you both have parental responsibility. This is not automatically the case for civil partners or unmarried fathers.

Mothers, whether married or not, are always deemed to have 'parental responsibility' for their children.

Find out more about parental rights in education.

Domestic violence

Men and women both have a right to be safe in their own homes and are entitled to the same level of help, support and protection. It doesn't matter if you are married, living together as a straight or same-sex couple or you are in a civil partnership. 

Domestic violence is not acceptable under any circumstances.

If you are thinking about leaving an abusive relationship and are worried about your safety and that of your child, there is help available, whatever your relationship status.

Find out more about domestic abuse


If you are employed in work, even if it is part-time, temporary or fixed term, you have certain rights. In some cases, there may be conditions to these rights, but there are processes in place to make sure you have fair treatment.  Your rights cover issues such as:

  • the length of your contract
  • the length of your employment
  • part-time work
  • ex-offenders

You also have responsibilities as an employee according to the terms of your contract.

You have a right not to be discriminated against or harassed on grounds of your religious belief and / or political opinion, sex, race, sexual orientation, age or disability in employment or occupation.

People with disabilities

You can find information on the rights of people with disabilities at the link below. This includes information about the Disability Discrimination Act and rights about access to goods and services, employment, health and education.

Children and young people

All children and young people aged 17 and under have certain basic human rights. These include the right to life, nationality, contact with parents and also freedom of expression and the right to have their views respected.

Older people

Certain basic rights apply more and become more relevant to you as you get older. These include rights in terms of pensions and benefits, as well as your right to certain services.

You have the right to be treated fairly in employment and work-related training and not to be discriminated against because of your age. Other rights apply specifically as you approach retirement.


As a carer, there are some specific rights that relate to. These include employment rights, the right to an assessment and receipt of direct payments.

If you are a young carer, there is extra support available to make sure you don't:

  • have to carry out a regular and large amount of caring for a person with disabilities
  • take on similar levels of caring responsibilities as an adult

Local authorities should make sure that the education, development and general well-being of young carers is not affected by caring responsibilities.


Share this page

What do you want to do?
What is your question about?
Do you want a reply?
Your email address
To reply to you, we need your email address
Your feedback

We will not reply to your feedback.  Don't include any personal or financial information, for example National Insurance, credit card numbers, or phone numbers.

This feedback form is for issues with the nidirect website only.

You can use it to report a problem or suggest an improvement to a webpage.

If you have a question about a government service or policy, you should contact the relevant government organisation directly as we don’t have access to information about you held by government departments.

You must be aged 13 years or older - if you’re younger, ask someone with parental responsibility to send the feedback for you.

The nidirect privacy notice applies to any information you send on this feedback form.

Don't include any personal or financial information, for example National Insurance, credit card numbers, or phone numbers.

Plain text only, 750 characters maximum.
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum.

What to do next

Comments or queries about angling can be emailed to 

What to do next

If you have a comment or query about benefits, you will need to contact the government department or agency which handles that benefit.  Contacts for common benefits are listed below.

Carer's Allowance

Call 0800 587 0912

Discretionary support / Short-term benefit advance

Call 0800 587 2750 

Disability Living Allowance

Call 0800 587 0912 

Employment and Support Allowance

Call 0800 587 1377

Jobseeker’s Allowance

Contact your local Jobs & Benefits office

Personal Independence Payment

Call 0800 587 0932

If your query is about another benefit, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.

What to do next

Comments or queries about the Blue Badge scheme can be emailed to or you can also call 0300 200 7818.

What to do next

For queries or advice about careers, contact the Careers Service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about Child Maintenance, contact the Child Maintenance Service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about claiming compensation due to a road problem, contact DFI Roads claim unit.

What to do next

For queries or advice about criminal record checks, email

What to do next

Application and payment queries can be emailed to

What to do next

For queries or advice about employment rights, contact the Labour Relations Agency.

What to do next

For queries or advice about birth, death, marriage and civil partnership certificates and research, contact the General Register Office Northern Ireland (GRONI) by email

What to do next

For queries about:

If your query is about another topic, select ‘Other’ from the drop-down menu above.

What to do next

For queries or advice about passports, contact HM Passport Office.

What to do next

For queries or advice about Penalty Charge Notices (PCNs), including parking tickets and bus lane PCNs, email

What to do next

For queries or advice about pensions, contact the Northern Ireland Pension Centre.

What to do next

If you wish to report a problem with a road or street you can do so online in this section.

If you wish to check on a problem or fault you have already reported, contact DfI Roads.

What to do next

For queries or advice about historical, social or cultural records relating to Northern Ireland, use the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI) enquiry service.

What to do next

For queries or advice about rates, email:

For queries or advice about property valuation, email:

For queries or advice about land registry, email:

For mapping queries, email:

What to do next

For queries or advice about  60+ and Senior Citizen SmartPasses (which can be used to get concessionary travel on public transport), contact Smartpass - Translink.