Direct payments for children with disabilities

Direct payments, which allow you to arrange care and services yourself instead of receiving them directly from your local trust, can be made to parents and carers aged 16 or over. This includes people with parental responsibility for a child with disabilities.

If you have parental responsibility for a child with disabilities

Following an assessment, direct payments can be used for a variety of services which offer your child stimulation, new experiences and independence. These include:

  • short breaks
  • help to go to a youth club or other activity
  • personal care

Employing somebody to provide support for your child

Where agreed following an assessment, you can use direct payments to employ a person to provide your child with support.

Local trusts can provide guidance about safe practice in employing carer-workers to work with your child. You can ask your local trust to help carry out a number of checks, including a police. As the employer, the responsibility remains with you.

Child care services and holiday time

As a parent, or someone with parental responsibility, you should be supported to stay in work, or to return to work, if this is what you want to do.

If you were assessed as needing help from social services, direct payments may help you make sure you have the right type of after-school or holiday provision to meet the particular needs of your child.

Health and social care trusts

If you have questions about own situation, contact the local trust. The trust can give you information about local support services.

More useful links

Share this page


Your comments are anonymous and can’t be responded to - if you would like a reply, use the feedback form.

Your comments
Plain text only, 750 characters maximum. Don't include personal or financial information.